Chapter 137

Jennie

With my hands steady on the steering wheel, I periodically kept reminding myself to breathe in, then out. This wasn't a part of the plan. In fact, the entire plan itself should have gone down the dumpster when I got discharged from the hospital. I'd told myself that part of my life was over, that I was done with my 'Nancy Drew' nonsense for good. I had dabbled with fire, and now my hands were burnt.

But I couldn't stay away after opening my eyes to the fact that every sign pointed to my favourite professor being a part of this. It all made sense. Professor El Lee and Yoo Hae-jin were working with Lisa. They planned her escape, Professor Lee set this project up and the rest is history.

My grip on the wheel tightened as I wondered why Professor Lee chose me. I clenched my jaw; why me.

I was all so buried deep under the murky weight of my thoughts, I didn't notice a black Ford Fiesta behind me taking the same turns as I did, from a little distance. Once when I reached the destination, I parked the car in an empty spot and pulled the keys out. My tawny eyes darted to the seven storey building right in front of me – 237 Hannam-dong.

I exited the car, queasy, my hands in the pockets of my trench coat as I approached the building. A little camera peeked out from over the entrance. I checked my phone quickly, looking for Professor Lee's apartment number. Once I found the set of numbers that I was looking for, I buzzed the number on the intercom. No one answered.

I frowned, how was I supposed to get in if no one got the door to open? Just as the thought of going back to campus began to surface in my brain, the door opened, and by some fluke of luck an old couple walked out.

This is my chance, I flashed a smile at them and wasted no time in stepping inside. With a deep exhale, I turned to the elevator and got in, pressing number 3 on the little button. My toes were anxiously tapping against the ground, my hands clenched into fists. I realized I didn't really have a plan of action.

What was I to say if Professor Lee was home? 'Hey, just dropped by to see if you hadn't become a fugitive.' And if my suspicions leaned on the right side of things, who was to say that Professor Lee wouldn't attack me or take me back to Lisa.

Lisa Manoban. Breathlessness rattled my chest at the thought of Lisa being in Professor Lee's apartment. I was positive my heart would give way if I were to see her again.

The gates of the elevator parted open and out emerged my lithe form. Swiftly finding the door that read unit 305, I held my breath as I began walking over to it. I had almost knocked on the door, when my eyes landed on the little slit of space between the edge of the door. It was open.

"Miss Kim."