Chapter 91

"Yoo Young-chul's list of criminal history, perhaps, is the most noteworthy aspect in the case profile." Professor Lee's voice was flat yet modulated, as she addressed the hall full of students who had their eyes glued to the bright screen right in front of them.

"While he was married in 1992 and had one son, he struggled to conform in society, causing him to be previously convicted fourteen times for several different felonies and had served seven years in prison prior to his string of murders." Professor Lee stated as an achromatic image of a younger Yoo Young-chul, appeared on the plain screen.

Jennie sat there with the little eraser tip of her pencil playing in between her lips, her complete attention channelled towards listening to every word coming out of Professor Lee's mouth.

Driven by the strident realization of the nearing exams, in a matter of a few weeks, Jennie had every fibre of her body compelling her to put head back into her studies. Any threats from a certain serial killer would have to wait.

She may have lost her place as the star student in Professor Lee's eyes, but Jennie refused to let her mental state affect her grade. Losing the scholarship would mean foolishly severing everything she'd persevered for half her entire life.

With that thought reinforced in her brain, she began making notes about the life of Yoo Young-chul, a 51 year old man on death row at the Seoul Detention Centre for twenty counts of murder charges.

"Next, we'll take a look at the list of Yoo-Young-chul's victims and why he had specifically targeted them. It was then that a few black and white photos of women was projected onto the screen.

"Even though there was speculation that he had patterned his killings after several movies, including 'Public Enemy', 'Very Bad Things' and 'Normal Life', he later confessed that he was being inspired by serial killer Jeong Du-yeong, who had murdered nine wealthy people in Busan from 1999 to 2000. He had initially targeted the wealthy and killed them out of a hostility that originated from his childhood poverty. Concerning his killing of these women you see here on the screen, he confessed that his resentment stemmed from a lover who had betrayed him, and he picked women with similar jobs as his previous lover in a bid to retaliate and also primarily due to his hatred for women. He was concluded to not be mentally ill, but exhibited usual signs associated with anti-social disorder whereby a person creates their own belief system based on distrust of moral and social norms."

With her head down to her notebook, Jennie had merely just begun to write when an odd, atypical hushed sound came from beside her. First, her brows furrowed; second, she turned her head towards the noise, her confusion only deepening. The lights were turned off for the presentation, but it was just luminous enough for Jennie to be able to make out the other students busy writing or typing down Professor Lee's key points. Dismissing it, she picked up where she had left off writing about Yoo Young-chul.

"Ruby Jane"

This time she froze.