Chapter 113

Jennie

The snow had, after all, turned out to be gentler than what I had anticipated. I hadn't crashed and blown up the car in the middle of a crystalline road like I'd feared I could. I had made it to Jeonju in under the 150 minute mark, and for that I had Hanbin's car and its top-notch snow tires to thank for.

I sat parked in the motel lot, a few feet away from what appeared to be the dingy entrance to Silver Door, gazing at the ramshackle building quietly. It was a three storey structure with flights of stairs that connected the lobby of the second and third floors externally. With walls painted a tacky yellow colour and faded red doors on each floor that looked like they'd fall off the hinges, the scruffy motel couldn't be more unpalatable.

Would Hae-jin meet another accomplice here?Heaving a deep exhale out of my chest, watching it fog up the space, I stepped out of the car. The whistling icy wind hit me, making me wrap my arms around my chest and pulling in my jacket tighter to materialize some warmth. It had stopped snowing, but the cold remained unabating.

Trudging through the slushy but glittering white ground, I finally made it to the door. I pulled it open, entering a space just as shabby as the exterior of the building. I could see a little desk with stationery and ledgers, figuring it was the reception, but it was empty.The entire room was soulless for that matter, asI looked around wondering if the motel had closed down or something.

And then I heard it. The loud, incessant sound of a man's breathless voice.At first, I was alarmed, my heart startled, but as I slowly started inching towards the direction of the source of the sound, it became more distinct and clear. A man grunting; in ecstasy, the noise coming from one of the rooms at the end. And then, simultaneously, a similar set of sounds started coming from above the thin ceiling, only this time it was a woman.

Oh... It's a shady motel, of course what else was I expecting? The Shilla?

"$35 a night."

I turned around, to be met by the sight of an unkempt middle aged man standing behind me, his arm flexed behind, scratching his back as he walked towards the desk.

"What?" I blurted, startled.

He looked at me with a stultified expression on his face, "For the room. $35 a night."

"Oh, I'm... I'm actually not here for a room."

"Let me guess." He rolled his beady green eyes, "You found the motel receipt in your boyfriend's pockets and now you want to know if he's cheating on you?"

"Something like that.." I reached into my little crossbody bag, pulling out my phone. I hastily scrolled through my pictures, until I found the one of Yoo Hae-jin. "This is him, I think he stays in room 306, might have checked under the name A.G.Pym." As I finished speaking, my eyes landed on the window right behind me, specifically the police car that had stopped in front of the motel. An officer got down from the car, checking on one of the tires.

"Yeah, I don't care sweetheart. I have work to do." He said condescendingly, reaching for one of the ledgers kept on the table.

I frowned, pouting my lips. "Come on, just tell me yes or no."

He ignored me, continuing to keep writing something on the paper.

I breathed through my lips, my jaw clenching.

That's it.