Chapter 67

Whimsical. Jennie's mind was a beautiful, whimsical mess.

She had sex with Lisa Manoban. With every block that the car got closer to the institution, Jennie's heartbeat got more mercurial and her head lighter.

Losing her virginity to a cruel murderer was not supposed to invoke feelings like that from a normal girl. But they did.

Suddenly, to Jennie, Lisa Manoban was not the cruel murderer of seven people. She wasn't the person who almost choked her to death. She wasn't the killer with two equally psychopathic personalities anymore.

Lisa Manoban was the one who made her feel alive.

As of a sudden, she realized she had been smiling like a creep during the whole car ride, and cleared her throat to break out of her own trance.

She looked at Mino, who continued to drive wordlessly with a straight, sullen expression etched onto his face. "Are you still angry?" She frowned when he didn't answer. "Aw, come on Mino, don't be mad."

"Damn it, Jen!" He snarled, finally breaking the icy composure. "I thought someone had spiked your drink and.." He cut himself off, sighing deeply. "You have no idea the sickos these frat douches can be. I go to get you and find you mysteriously gone in the middle of the fucking night. And to top it off, the last time someone saw you, you were stumbling around the house all alone. Can you imagine what went through my head?" His tone had grown unarmed, more tender.

Jennie felt awful, she looked at him with a knowing gaze as she placed a hand on his bicep.

"I'm sorry Mino, I shouldn't have left like that. I..just..I wasn't feeling that great, and I couldn't find you. So I went home." A tendril of guilt coiled round her stomach as she lied to her best friend again. She'd already caused him a lot of distress. It killed her, but she had to. For a millisecond she wondered how he'd react if he heard the truth. Would he call her crazy?

"Also what the actual fuck did you even drink that night? You've been acting all smiles and girly ever since, like some chick flick lead who just had sex with a Channing Tatum douchebag character or some shit?"

The heat surged straight to Jennie's cheeks. From the corners of her eyes, Jennie could see the hints of the small smirk beginning to tug at his lips. "Did you get laid?" The playful tone was back in his voice. She swatted at his arm with an aghast expression, making them both break into fits of laughter.

Jennie felt the car come to a halt, her heart suddenly doing backflips in her chest, as she realized she was going to see Lisa. Nothing was ever going to be the same. As she stepped out, she immediately began mapping out the start of their conversion, so it wouldn't inevitably be awkward.

If only she hadn't. The remnants of the ear-to-ear smiles that sat on both of their faces, evaporated within a heartbeat. The colour, in particular, drained away from Jennie's face at the sight of the police cars that stood scattered in front of them.

Her mind began to muddle up, only one thought remaining as clear as the sky. Cameras. Idiot! She screamed at herself mentally, How could you forget about the cameras? As if on cue, two cops caught a glance of them, and began walking over in their direction.

Jennie stood frozen to the ground. She felt her legs almost give away at the thought of being arrested. No. She was too young. Her breath hitched in her throat as the cops got closer, mentally preparing herself to start pleading, begging to be forgiven.

But she was left standing confused, as the cops walked past her, over to an ambulance that stood on the other side of the road. She looked at them with perplexed eyes, and then turned back to the scene that was before her. All she could see were the countless people that stood in the yard, wearing paramedic and cop uniforms.

And then she saw it.

She felt her stomach sink into the deepest depths of twisted reality.

A body bag.