Chapter 152

Jennie

"Mino..."

I began, my voice shakier than my breath, as I slowly turned around. My eyes met his crouching form by Nancy's side, working at snipping the tape away. I had to clutch the kitchen top for support, lest my legs give away under the sudden spell of dizziness that had overcome me.

"How did you know about the horses?"

My voice was but a soft murmur in the wind, yet it captured Mino's attention. He looked up, "What do you mean?"

"Y... You just said something about her feeding us to the horses. How did you know this place had horses?"

He shrugged, raising his eyebrows, "I don't know, it was just an expression. I... wait what are you talking about?" His tone held nothing but pure confusion.

Not a word came out of my mouth as I remained glued to the spot, eyeing Mino with trepidation.

"Okay Jen, I don't know what you're talking about here, but we're wasting our time. Think of Nancy, we have to get her to a hospital. You can..."

"You said you tracked the car's GPS." I breathed, emotionless, observing his sharp features, "But how did you get here? I would have heard another car."

He gaped at me in incredulity, his jaw gone slack as he began getting up, "Are you... saying I'm a, a part of this?"

I felt myself shrink back into the counter as I beheld him rising up. "That drawing I found..." I trailed off, swallowing hard to wet my dry mouth, "She had a brother - Liam." As I spoke the name out loud, harrowing realization spread in my veins like warm blood, rattling my core.

"Liam."

I muttered sombrely, slowly reaching for the knife in my pockets, only to remember I'd handed it over to Mino only a few minutes ago. I clenched my hands into tight fists, my nails digging into my palms out of desolation. I never looked away. My eyes remained trained on Mino, as he glanced at the floor, sighing; only when he looked up again, all previous signs of distress from his face had all vanished in the night air.

And although he was physically all the way across the room, suddenly his abyss of a presence loomed over my air, choking me with his darkness. There was a strange tranquillity in his eyes, serene as can be, as the corner of his lips curled upwards to the side.

"And to think you were doing so well, Jennie."

It is riveting how artists can take the most mundane of things and turn them into a form so compelling. A city's destruction is only a perilous facet of war, until a bard comes along and sings songs of the heroic Achilles and the bewitching Helen of Troy.

For me, Lisa Manoban had never had plain eyes. They were never blue. They were sapphires of the first water, more cerulean than the seas of the pacific ocean, the ultramarine skies of aurora. Never just blue.

Now that the mist had finally been removed from my sight, it dawned upon me that the boy in front of me too, had always had the same pair of azure eyes as the person of my nightmares and that of my dreams.