Petrified

Bucky's phone started ringing. He pulled it out of his pocket and looked at it, and as soon as he saw the name that flashed across the screen, he answered. It was Aspen. He had never answered a phone call so fast. He was terrified. His heart was racing. He couldn't breath. He didn't know what to do or what to say, but that didn't matter anyway, because his emotions took over and he answered the phone, worried about the women he loved. The only women he's ever loved.

Tears prickled his eyes. He hadn't even heard her voice yet and he was near tears. His mind started racing, he thought about what would happen if he lost her. He couldn't do it. He didn't think he could survive if he lost her. He wouldn't. She had only been missing for a few hours and already, he felt like his world was falling apart.

He was lost. He was worried. And he was terrified. He tried his best to breath, to remain calm, but even as a trained assassin, he couldn't keep it together. not when Aspen's life was on the line. There was no way he could, hell, even Steve couldn't keep it together. He was in the corner of the room, staring at Bucky, his eyes thick with tears, his jaw slack. He was frozen. (no pun intended.)

He knew that Aspen may not have been the one on the other end of the line, so he should have chosen his words carefully, it could have been her captor. But he couldn't. He responded emotionally, because how else would you respond to the love of your life, your soulmate, your best friend, pretty much the only good thing to come out of his life, being taken from you and not knowing what was going to happen next? 

"Asp?" Bucky whispered as he picked up the phone. His voice breaking already. "Baby is that you? Are you okay? What happened?" Bucky asked. Thousands of questions running through his mind and he was just spewing them out, but soon realized he needed to stop, otherwise, if it was her, she wouldn't be able to answer, because he would've just kept asking the questions. 

It was Aspen. She was already crying. She held the phone tight in her hands as she soaked in Bucky's voice. Thinking this may be the last time she would ever hear it. She smiled slightly, hearing his voice made her calmer, and she remembered how much she had to fight for. She had to fight for him. For her Bucky. But then all the fear came rushing back in.

She was uncertain of her fate. She didnt know what was going too happen to her. She was scared. She was scared it might be Hydra. What if it all happened again? What if they tried to get Bucky too? She couldn't go through that again. She couldn't watch him go through that again. She couldn't do it. She sobbed into the phone and clutched it tighter in her hand.

"Baby, I'm scared." She cried. Bucky almost broke hearing how scared she was, hearing her cry, the fear in her voice. And he couldn't do anything to help her in the moment. Again, he found himself in a situation, where he felt helpless. But he had to at least try to be brave, for her, to give her a reason to fight.

"You're gonna be okay doll. We're gonna find you. Do you know where you are?" He tells her, and asks. He just wanted to comfort her, but he couldn't do that fully. He needed to try and find her, so he could save her. He couldn't comfort her, love her, hold her, if she wasn't alive for him to do all of those things. So he needed to know if she knew her location.

"No. I don't know. I can't see, she covered my eyes." Aspen tells him. She continues to cry. And all she wants is for him to hold her. "Bucky i'm scared." She repeats. "I know you are." He tells her. He tried his best to comfort her, but at the same time, get information to help her. He as struggling. He was torn and he was petrified. Then a detail she let slip, rings in his mind.

"It's a woman?" Bucky asks her. After picking up that Aspen had said 'she'. "Yea. I don't know who." Aspen tells him. She shakes her head, her mind racing and the only thing she can think about was him, was he going to be okay? "Jamie..." She whispered into the phone. She needed him to hear her. She needed him to know. "She's gonna kill me. She gave me the phone to say goodbye." Aspen tells Bucky. 

Bucky's heart stops. The world stops, as he registers her words, he feels as though he's already died. But he couldn't let her know that. He had to be strong. For her. "No she's not." He tells her. Tears sliding down his cheeks now, and he didn't care who saw.  "I'm going to did too. And you're going to be okay." Bucky tells her. Aspen tries to choke back tears.

She couldn't see anything. She couldn't breath anymore. She needed to tell him, because she may not get another chance to. "I love you Jamie." She whispers to him. Bucky knew she was saying her goodbye, and he couldn't let her. "Aspen you tell me that when we find you. You hold on for me." Bucky tells her.

"It'll be too late." Aspen cries. "You don't know. You're not here. She's gonna kill me. James please." She begs him. She needed to hear it from him. She needed to hear that he loved her too. Even if she already knew, she needed to hear it. Bucky chokes back his tears too, trying his best not to cry, but failing. He couldn't survive without her. 

"If you give up on me Aspen," He says. "I will not survive." He tells her. "Do you hear me?" He asks. "James." She says, shaking her head. "I will die without you. So you hang on." Bucky tells her. "What if I can't?" She asks. "What if you're too late? What if you can't find me?" She asks him, continuously crying. "You cant thunk like that. I will find you." Bucky tells her. And without warning, Steve walks over and takes the phone form Bucky, he needed to hear his sisters voice. "Aspen?" He asked. Him too, in tears over her.