Chapter 82: The Eight Thunders

Darkness as far as the eye could follow in every single direction.

The cold stench of death haunted every corner of this wicked place.

From north to east, south, and to the west.

In each and every one of the three-hundred-and-sixty degrees of the four physical dimensions was a hollow presence.

For this was a dark realm of hollow spirits.

A hollow realm of dark souls.

Wherever one set foot in this place, they were met with bloody soles.

Although it was virtually impossible to make out anything in this place, one could stare into the gaze of the dead at all times, for there was time plenty.

This description might leave the impression that the sole physical creature in this place walked the Underworld, as created in the image of the Destroyer.

However, this certain plane of anguish was by no means affiliated with the Edge of the World.

For there was no crystal suspended in the sky that gathered souls whose will to exist had given out.

For there was no mansion at the edges of the edge of the bottom of existence, where the Destroyer laid dormant.

Neither was there a large country-sized city of condemned souls in the shape of a skull.

As there definitely weren't any lands with temperatures so high that it could burn away the soul itself in an instant.

On the contrary, the air in this seemingly limitless graveyard was freezing cold.

Yet this anthropomorphic creature dressed in nothing but a single thick, white dress didn't seem to mind. One side of the dress hung loosely over its shoulder, exposing its decaying breast. However, in a realm where the very concept of light was in doubt, this type of information was irrelevant.

Once, a very long time ago, it was a beautiful goddess madly in love with her male consort...

"Izanami!!!" He yelled as he leaned forward into the massive hole in the ground, being met with a fierce gust of wind that traveled with a large series of echoes.

He heard indistinct chattering as if he had just entered through the gates of a bustling village.

Kids ran around, giggling and laughing amongst themselves.

Livestock covered the second wave of echoes, along with the all-too-familiar stench of dung.

Farmhands could be heard chopping wood, cutting fresh and healthy grains as traders used their charm to persuade travelers and housewives alike.

However, it was all but a mere illusion.

The man gulped intensely as he sweat like a dog basking in the sun. After a single wipe of his forehead with the back of his arm, he took his first step into the darkness, where he was said to reunite with his wife.

Brandishing nothing but a single torch, he strode nowhere else but forward.

"I will search every corner of this place for you, my love," he muttered to himself shakily, after who knows how much time had already passed. Seemingly knowing every risk that came with walking this path, the man was hellbent on finding his wife and returning her to the realm of the living.

However, it was all but a mere illusion.

The fires of the torch revealed to him a world very similar to his own. But it was a depressing sight: eternally cold, dark, and vast. Ruins of villages, shrines, and temples reflected the light of the torch that faded away the deeper the man went.