Chapter 8: Principal's Office

A few hours later, Horu woke up in a vast room which looked like a mixture of a private museum and an office.

Except, it was actually a principal's office which was located on the highest floor of the at-least-one-hundred-stories-high-tower.

"Where am I?"

Horu looked around.

The room seemed to be made solely from polished wood and extremely expensive furniture. The floor shone brightly because of the moonlight that penetrated the lonely window in the room.

It was still dark out.

"Welcome to the FMA, Horu Sakaki. Excuse me, our introduction was a bit... rushed and unsettling. I can assure you that you are safe now and in good hands. You can move freely as you want and you can ask me anything. But before you do that, I shall explain the entire situation. Now, if you may... take a seat."

Aegis pointed at one of the chairs that were placed in front of his expensively polished desk. Horu quietly removed himself from the comfortable sofa and took a seat on the chair that Aegis indicated.

"As you know, things have been brutal on your part. I'll reintroduce myself. My name is Aegis. Just Aegis. And I am the Founder and the Head Principal of the Furrèl Magic Academy. The FMA is the sole academy in the world that focuses on magic. We are also an elite association with powers over multiple assets across the globe. Meaning, we hold jurisdiction over a variety of countries, domestic and foreign businesses. In reality, we are simply a magical school that educates our students the best we can and give them the chance to follow their dreams into the studies of magic."

"Old man... I really don't give a damn about this delusional 'association'. You're probably giving me some bull right now. I thought that trusting you would finally put me at ease. But you're giving me the same shit about magic and stuff."

Horu attempted to taunt the guy so that he may let him walk away from this derangement.

He's also going on about all this magic stuff? Geez, the hell is going on with these people?

"Go see for yourself."

Aegis rotated his office chair and waved at the window behind him, indicating that there was something grand to see that could change Horu's mind.

It was then that Horu realized it wasn't all bullshit and that he was the one being delusional.

"..."

He saw an entire island filled with different buildings and facilities.

The island had vast streets which were empty at the moment. Some street—no, city blocks that contained shops and entertainment facilities were filled with students.

The island appeared to be split in sections. Horu noticed that since there were structures of the same sort cooped up in different parts of the island. Horu failed to hide his amazement at how well the FMA was designed.

That must've been one hell of an architect...

Nobody could blame him. The FMA truly looked like a minuscule, post-modern civilization. One wouldn't think that this were to be an academy specialized in the studies of magic.

"From now on, you'll be enrolled at the FMA to better con—"

Aegis saw the look of amazement in Horu's eyes, so he took his chance. But unfortunately for him, Horu still had some questions he needed answered...

"No. Not until I know what's actually going on here."

Horu said with a fierce look in his eyes.

"The concept of magic is using one's life energy to perform supernatural abilities, which were later on in history named, 'skills'. These skills were created by divine entities that possessed full authority over certain concepts and elements. These beings were called 'Gods'. Humanity was created by one of the goddesses to build up sentience in the world but also to present proof of their existence. As time passed, the gods grew fond of the humans and so bestowed upon them a powerful authority. These were times of prosperity and culmination for humanity. However, one day, four malicious beings appeared with one goal in mind, destruction. Humanity gave these evil beings the title, 'Adversaries'. Not only were they evil, they were also much stronger than the gods. The long-lasting fight between the Adversaries and the Gods was the so-called War of Gods. Since the war ended, the gods had all turned silent, leaving humanity only with the magic they'd left behind."

Aegis gave a description of the world's backstory as if he dreamed it every night.

He continued after a brief pause.

"You hold an incredible power that can rival that of the Adversaries, and stop them once and for all."

It went silent in the room for a few seconds. They felt like an hour to Horu.

"From now on, you will become a student of the FMA and you will harness that potential of yours. You got a lot ahead of you. So welcome, Horu Sakaki, to the Furrèl Magic Academy. Oh, and one more thing...."

"Hm?"

"...Try not to cause any trouble here."

The words of Aegis nearly sounded like an order.

This was only the beginning of Horu's story.

A monster was unsealed and brought back to reality.

The voice within Horu spoke to him again but this time, he wasn't unconscious.

"It's good to see you again, Aegis!"