Chapter 12: Immediate Loss

Mei Sakaki, the world's strongest magician, continued to train her son and his best friend for a couple of days until the time had finally arrived.

Horu and Simon had endured the toughest of practice methods and hand-to-hand combat training.

With barely enough sleep, the two kept pressing on, day and night, to stand the slightest of a chance against other novices who were fighting for a chance to get enrolled at the FMA.

They were those who'd fought besides professional magicians or those who'd spent their entire life training for the opportunity.

That was what it meant to become a student at the FMA.

Luckily for him, Horu's mother was the most powerful human to have ever roamed the Earth. Therefore, he received continuous training that broke his limits to the utmost...

The entrance examinations were known to mankind as one of the hardest-to-succeed tests in history.

Being able to cast a Fireball or some beginner healing skill wasn't enough. It took above-average skill in magic to triumph the exams.

Although the FMA had a lot of students, most of them were recruited, so not a lot had to participate in the first place.

Amid Furrèl stood a lofty tower.

Nobody, excluding the Head Principal, knew its original height and how many floors it held. All that was known, was that it was composed of at least 100 floors.

This was due to the Head Principal's office being located on the 100th floor.

The tower was called the Tower of Challenge and was mostly used for the entrance examinations. The tower had other purposes but those were peripheral.

At the moment, a few hundred novices and their instructors were gathered on the tower's ground floor.

Two of those were none other than Horu Sakaki and his new friend, Simon Wheeler.

The ground floor was filled with people babbling about their nervousness and anxious tendencies.

But among the noisy crowd was an odd-looking individual who stole most of the crowd's attention.

"Hey... isn't he..."

"He gives me the creeps."

"I'd better watch out for him."

All kinds of gossip about the person was being spread throughout the crowd like wildfire.

The reason he stood out so much was because of his off-season clothing.

The male was most likely South-American. That because of his lightly tinted skin, intimidating tattoos, and the shameless outfit he displayed.

He was utterly topless; his appearance was like an echo of summer. Adding to that, he wore a bandana on his head as two blades were strapped to his bareback.

"His name is Pablo Fuerte. At least, that's how they call him."

An unknown voice spoke softly in between Horu and Simon. They both turned around towards the voice and saw a girl the size of a child.

However, the weapon she carried deceived any onlooker that would think she's an innocent, cute girl.

She carried a great sword twice the size of her body.

One wouldn't think she'd be able to lift it an inch.

"Sorry, but who are you?"

The black-haired boy to her left, Horu, asked.