Chapter 52: Saka's Eternal Death

"The Labyrinth of Despair?"

"That's right. It's the second-highest layer of the Underworld, for all we know. This tower is the HQ of Satan's Apostles and the most terrible place one could be in. This place serves as a prison for all the lost souls strong enough to materialize and maintain their sentience."

The sister on the boy's right, Fae, said as she leaned against the bars of her cell.

"Those lost souls go by the name Daemons, which Yae and I are. Your luck must be disastrous if you end up in a place like this. Speaking about that, what is your name?"

"My name... I can't remember. All I can remember is getting thrown in that horrible place and..."

"When we found you at the Edge, you were constantly calling out to someone. I believe the name was 'Kaede'."

Yae asserted as she too leaned her back against her cell's bars. The boy, whose name he couldn't remember, spoke to the backs of two unknown Daemons.

"I'm sorry, I can't recall who that name belongs to. My head is a big cloud of mystery, at the moment. I don't know how I got here, or who I am. What I do know, is that this voice kept talking to me. The last thing it said was something about fusing with it."

His memories were so fuzzy, that it wasn't worth salvaging. He placed his head on his knees and fell asleep, knowing that he would forever be trapped in that cell.

"B..."

"...oy!"

"Boy, get your ass up. It's time!"

A rough voice emerged from in front of the boy's cell, which failed to wake him up from his REM-sleep.

Thus it came with a loud clanging that shot the boy awake.

He saw a man dressed in dirty, black armor. The latter's helmet had the shape of a skull and succeeded in hiding his face.

The twins despaired when they noticed the presence of the knight, and backed off to the furthest corner of their cells.

The knight emitted a wandering aura of death as dark smoke escaped from his eyes.

He wore a cape that matched the rest of his knightly attire perfectly. It was clear that this enigma was the individual in charge of the place.

"So, it's true. You look as unsightly as they said you would."

The knight added as it flicked his fingers, causing the boy's cell and chains to fly open.

It was true that the latter's appearance was quite disgusting to look at.

His skin had been regenerating for eternity, thus his ability to regenerate slowed, following with various parts of his body that had yet to recuperate.

The boy's image resembled a scarecrow who'd never been maintained.

"Wait, who are you? Where are you taking—!"

Whack!

"Shut the fuck up! I'm the one asking questions. But first, some people would like to have a word with you."

The man in armor back-hand slapped the boy to shut him up, then dragged him into the darkness.

The Daemon twins both sighed with relief.

"I thought we were done for!"

"Me too. But hey, did you hear what the Watchmaster said? Why would he be asking a nobody like him questions?"

"You think it's them?"

"I dunno..."

~~~~~