Chapter 62: False God

"The Void... of Souls?"

"According to the book, it's an isolated location containing endless souls. The void provides nearly infinite energy from the residue of the souls."

"So it's like a huge energy reserve. Then, why does Aku devour souls if he already has enough energy?"

"Hmm... Good question. Well, that isn't in the book. But, my guess is, so he can use the magic of those that he consumes."

"..."

Horu and his two female companions were inside a cellar, discussing their plan to defeat the monster on the loose.

The former noticed the sudden silence that Lily emitted and proceeded to blow away her confusion with a proper explanation.

"I've fought it before you two came. It is capable of using different magic types and it's incredibly tough. It can use that... Void of Souls to appear anywhere between the fabrics of reality."

Yae turned the page over of the book that laid wide open in front of the three companions. The cellar was lit by the candle that Lily held on a small plate.

"So, how do we defeat it?"

Yae asked as Horu zoomed in on the page that Yae had turned to. It was then that he found his answer.

"The Void of Souls is the key to defeating it. Since Aku doesn't have infinite energy, it utilizes the skill, instead of raw magic, to minimize energy usage."

"Ahh... that means?"

Yae raked her head, hoping to piece the puzzle together. She had never used magic before; her only time being when she transferred her energy to Fae.

"The Void of Souls can be activated by any Death Magic-user. If we can somehow get inside with Aku, then we can find his soul and defeat him directly."

Horu closed the book and continued confidently.

"We should consider ourselves lucky. If Aku used his energy to supply the void, it would've been able to do anything within."

"Okay. So, how are we doing this?"

Lily asked, confused by the consecutive talks of magic and whatnot. Magic was not her area of profession, unlike politics.

She was truly her father's girl.

"Hm."

Horu thought long and hard. He came up with many scenarios inside his head; all of them ended up in failures. He imagined many complex methods but finally halted with the simplest solution of all.

"Wait. Lily."

"Hm?"

"How close did you say you were with Aku?"

A light bubble tingled within the minds of Yae and Lily. The former nodded to the latter as if to indicate that this was the only choice she had.

That was to act as a decoy.

~~~~~

"HHHHAAAAAAA!!"

Two figures entered endless darkness, dogfighting as they floated between the swirling souls that seemed like tissues of light.

Boom! Boom! Boom!

Horu and Aku exchanged blows like two madmen going at it. The speed of their hand-to-hand combat in space must've surely exceeded that of light.