Chapter 55: Mass Punishment

"Mary-sama, what is the meaning of this?!"

"That prisoner of yours is rampaging through the entire labyrinth!"

"More and more prisoners are escaping by the minute! The Watch won't be able to keep up if this goes on!"

The leader of Satan's Apostles walked into the top of the Labyrinth of Despair. The prison labyrinth made full usage of the infinite space of the Underworld's layers as there were endless cell blocks that stretched out horizontally within each floor.

The ominous structure was created to look like a humongous tower from the outside, but its interior was infinite along its horizontal axe.

The top floor of the labyrinth was a hermetic hyper dimension created by the Apostles as a gathering area. Its interior was unknown as the Apostles usually concealed themselves as shadows.

The reason for doing so was because of the mistrust between these powerful beings whom caused historic damage during the War of Gods.

Mary resembled a certain female Adversary a lot by the way she walked; sassy and with an aura of death.

She was also the sole individual to reveal her appearance to her fellow Apostles. If she'd never done so in the first place, they were sure to grow weary of her as well.

She noticed numerous eyes filled with mistrust scanning her from top to bottom.

"All of you, calm down!"

Mary's words pierced right through the constant murmuring and complaining of the Apostles. She did not have a bad temper like Nyx but shared her malice and dominance, nevertheless. She continued after crossing her arms.

"I'll have you know that I'll take full responsibility for this matter. The boy is—"

"With all due respect, Mary-sama, why do I have a feeling you're leaving us in the dark? We should've gotten it over with it in the first place!"

One of the shadows revolted as if wanting to say those words for a long time.

"I am aware that the captive is responsible for taking Alexander's life and that you want your revenge as soon as possible. However, killing that boy means disobeying my orders. And I know that you're aware of what happens when you disobey me, Christopher..."

The individual named Christopher was the partner of Alexander, the insane Daemon that Horu encountered on the top floor of the Tower of Challenge.

Ever since his best friend's death, Christopher had been longing for an opportunity to avenge him.

"As it stands, Alexander suffered a defeat during an attempt to assassinate the captive. He was not ordered to do so, thus was killed in action due to lack of information. It is unknown who defeated him, but all that we can assume is that the goddess Artemis was involved."

Mary explained in full as she heard Christopher gritting his teeth behind the shadows. She felt no remorse as Alexander was merely an annoyance to her.

Silence protruded Mary's briefing, shortly followed by a roar.

"Artemis?! Alexander was killed by a fertility goddess?! Impossible... He may have been a pain, but he was one persistent bastard. Something is not apt here."

"Your suspicions are unnecessary, Kali. That mentality will have you end up just like Alexander. You've all forgotten that my very nature as Chaos's champion rivals Artemis. My very existence is equivalent to hers. In fact, this exact body that you're perceiving is identical to that woman. Underestimating her will ultimately bring upon your doom. That goddess is Terra's champion."