Chapter 42: An Old Friend

In a place located far, far away from reality reverberated stone-cold footsteps that failed to be heard by anyone.

A woman with ravishing purple hair strolled her way through a large space filled solely with bookshelves.

The ambiance gave the woman every impression that the residents of the place were without a doubt knowledgeable and serene.

Yet, the woman had been there many times in her 38 years of living, so she'd grown accustomed to the silent atmosphere.

"Well, well, if it isn't the famed Sakaki Mei!"

A female voice clothed in a grey robe stopped Mei in her tracks and gave her a welcoming hug.

"My, my. It is a pleasure to come back here after so long! How have you been, Kiara-chan?"

Mei addressed the woman with the use of Japanese formalities, something not heard often at the FMA. This was due to the academy being international. Most Japanese traditions were dispensed.

"Well, you know me. Reticence has always been my most trusted companion. I simply can't seem to get sufficient of it!"

The woman in the robe was subjectively equally as beautiful as the world's leading magician. Her hair reached over her shoulders and was painted dark brown. She had two dimples on each side of her face whenever she released her alluring smile.

"Doesn't such a pretty lady like you get tired of the constant absence of men in this place?"

Mei whispered with the side of her hand pressed to her cheek. In response, the woman held her left arm against her breasts, whereas her right hand got squeezed between her thighs. Her cheeks grew beet red as she averted her gaze to the side.

"Maybe... but as part of my apprenticeship, I've been taught to disregard such stimulating impulses."

"Ehhh, how dull. Anyway, I still can't think that you've been promoted to Supreme Warden. Tell me, do the rest of the Wardens treat you with more respect? Oh! Do they do precisely as you say, Supreme Warden-sama?"

"Heh, heh... Not really, but I do have a lot more privileges as the lady in charge. Such as getting closer to Lua-sama, a private archive, and even access to Magnus. Although the latter requires supervision from Lua-sama at all times."

The woman explained in detail.

Her name was Kiara Togata, Mei Sakaki's best friend since childhood. The two had experienced many challenges and difficulties in the majority of their lives together.

Both began their lives in an orphanage funded by the Order of Light. After a horrifying, long series of events, they finally graduated from the FMA and parted ways.

Kiara was very quiet and shy. She enjoyed the spoils of books and art like no other. Therefore she'd sought apprenticeship at the Wardens of Lua, a supreme order created by the Goddess of Shape to protect all knowledge and secrets regarding magic.

However, after its destructive rampage 20 years ago that left the universe nearly erased, the omniscient Cardinal Weapon known as Magnus was entrusted to the Wardens as well.

Those lucky enough to know of their existence sometimes rumored that the Wardens were all-knowing witches trained to defend even against the most powerful threats in their records.

As great as they were, the Wardens of Lua were no more than simple librarians who knew all the mysteries of the world.

"Anyways, what brings the Purple Maiden to such an unknown place of concealed wisdom, this time?"

Kiara concluded the immaturity of the conversation by narrowing her gaze sharply onto Mei. The magician then scratched her head sheepily, thinking of a response.

"Well... I got bad and good news. The good news is that your second child, Hana-san, has successfully been enrolled at the academy for quite some time ago. The bad news, though...."

The ambiance in the air froze as both women stared at each other with seriousness or curiosity. The place the Wardens of Lua resided in was called the Grand Archive; a large library in the shape of a tower.

The tower itself was settled in a plane isolated from reality. There were only about 20 residents and a small portion of them looked in awe at the two grown women.

"Hajime-kun has stirred up a lot of trouble at the academy. We fear that his actions may have been corrupted by one of the Apostles. Just recently, an entire class fell victim to Hajime-kun sabotaging the portal to the Abyss. Reports describe the kid messed around with the difficulty of the dungeon assigned to E-rank first-years. There were serious casualties, Kiara-chan."

Kiara was shocked after discovering from Mei that her first-born child caused such awful dismay.

Confusion welled up inside her by the thought of it.

She clasped her hands together and broadened her eyes.

"If you know anything about this, Kiara-chan, please do not refrain from telling me."

Mei said as she stared deeply into Kiara's eyes. Her hands rested on her shoulder as she requested her best friend's assistance.

However, Kiara hadn't known anything about the matter so it was hard for her to reply.

"I-I-I... don't grasp anything of this. Hajime... that can't be. That boy had always been so righteous and—"

Kiara got interrupted by Mei performing a sudden gesture. Her head tilted to the said as she nearly placed her hand in front of Kiara's face, indicating that something was up.

A voice called out to her in her head...

"Mei! Do you... copy... I repeat... Mei!"

Yes, what's wrong

"The school... the Adversaries. They've invaded...!"

They've what?! Onezuki-san, are you still there?!

Mei's telepathic conversation with Ken Onezuki drew to a sudden close.

She lowered her head with her expression completely hidden behind her bangs.

Suddenly, enormous angelic wings sprouted from her back. Kiara nearly got hit by the wings but managed to dodge them right on time.

"Mei-chan, what's going on?"

She asked in concern.

"I'm sorry, Kiara-chan, but it's an emergency at the academy. I don't know any details but they need my aid."

Mei gave Kiara a single glance of reassurance and vanished from sight.

Free from the concept of distance due to the Cardinal Weapon she had in her possession, Mei instantly appeared on the FMA's surface.

The sight welled up a feeling of rage and confusion within her.

"The academy... it's ravaged."

Mei looked around her as she saw hundreds—no, thousands of demonic beasts and monsters bestow death and destruction upon the island. However, in the distance was a sight that triggered her even more than the destruction...

"...The reincarnation of thou husband will not save thee this time...goodbye, Arte—oh?"

A brown-haired goddess nearly got her head shaved off her body when a winged maiden saved her from her fate.

The Cardinal Weapon, Death's Scythe, disappeared from its position in the hand of Nekros and appeared in the grasp of the world's strongest magician.

Her purple hair fluttered in the air.

Her majestic, angelic wings stretched as much as they could to display her divine dominance.

The angel swung the Death's Scythe as if it were no more than a plastic toy, an act deemed impossible...

However, little did Nekros know that the performance demonstrated only a fraction of Mei Sakaki's power as the World's Strongest Magician.