Chapter 38: Shining Star

"Finally... someone worthy enough..."

A dragon rose from the center of a crater made from the impact of his body crashing into the surface.

The cloud of debris around the humanoid dragon cleared up, revealing his presence yet again.

This time, however, the dragon seemed bigger. As if it morphed into the form of an actual dragon, whilst still maintaining its previous humanoid features.

An effable name for the current form of this entity would've easily been something as dangerous-sounding as a...

...Dragonoid.

Fire surrounded the entity, displaying an aura made of sheer flames.

Horu glanced at Kaede briefly and smiled.

The dragon approached him, looking down to meet with his eyes. They stood in standoff positions, both clenching their fists and staring at each other with deadly gazes.

Horu had never looked so serious while being in a fight. During every previous battle he got himself into, Horu either lost his sanity or succumbed to the individual residing inside him.

Both of the options led to Horu gaining more access to the skills granted to him by that individual.

Fuck! Why did I run my mouth? He's big and so goddamn scary... but that doesn't matter, Horu, you got this! You got thi—!

WHOOSH!

The dragon diagonally swiped its arm, revealing its huge claws.

Horu reflexively activated his speed-enhancing technique, but couldn't react in time.

His uniform and skin got ripped open.

Blood spurted out of his chest as a claw caused his nerve system to go into a frenzy.

He staggered backward and cast one of his skills.

"Celestial Slash!"

An invisible force with the form of a diagonal solidus moved at incredible speed towards the dragon, yet it managed to evade the attack by flapping his wings.

The dragon then raised both arms; it crossed its hands and created a fist.

Horu quickly moved out of the way, knowing that the dragon would smash the ground.

Shockwaves were sent to him as the ground rippled apart, forcing him to lose his balance.

The dragon took its chance and a deep breath, unveiling a ball of flame inside its maws.

Horu recovered simultaneously and regained his footing by speeding to another spot, where the ground wasn't affected.

However, he made the wrong move as the dragon had already calculated where he would travel to.

The monster shifted its head towards the ceiling, only to move it downwards in Horu's direction.

A large blaze of scorching flames emanated from the dragon towards the black-haired kid.