Chapter 29: Blood Loss

The Abyss.

A dark realm apart from Earth, yet it was still connected to the planet by a small number of portals. It was seen by the humans as a collection of uncharted dungeons swarming with dangers and treasures.

The Earth's greatest magicians and scientists uncovered as much as they could about the Abyss, but to nearly no avail. Their conclusion was then set in stone.

The Abyss was a realm filled to the brim with life energy, hence it having the capacity to act on its own and create instances that shifted every time a group of magicians entered.

The treasury located in the Abyss was extremely rare since there were few portals on Earth.

Not many dared enter.

Most weren't as confident in their skills as students of the FMA to set foot in the place, nonetheless, explore it.

The Abyss held many semblances to the Tower of Challenge, however, the differences were great.

And the most important of all was that death was still inevitable within the grounds of the Abyss. It was far more dangerous than the dimension-creating tower, yet it was a perfect location for one to test their power.

Most monsters couldn't use magic because of their low intelligence, despite that, the Abyss--depending on the difficulty--was the last place where one could enter and come back unscathed.

The FMA had somewhat control over the portal located on the island. They could analyze the difficulty of the dungeon with the portal's sensors which were made with Aegis' unknown magic.

Therefore, they could've sent students to dungeons of their level. For hundreds of years, the FMA had sustained the casualties at the Abyss to a bare minimum.

The dungeons were completely different from each other, yet they had one thing in common: they were connected by a dark place where men had never set foot and come back alive.

It was called the Abyss. All that was lost in that place, was lost for eternity.

"Gguh... Uhh... Sensei... Blergh!"

A humanoid figure whose skin illuminated in the dark.

He vomited blood as he gasped for air. His body was impaled by a lance twice the length of his body.

The boy was supposed to be dead, but luckily...

"If it weren't for I, thou would have deceased... Thou art lucky that I acted in time... I can not have you dying on me, boy..."

The voice inside Horu explained how he survived the fall. He was too injured to think straight, so he refrained from thanking Ignis for the time being.

On his knees, he found another person not far from him. It was his homeroom teacher, Sung Jin-Do.

The sewer water from above, for some reason, had vanished. Horu was in a completely different place as before.

"I'm... so... sorry... Sensei."

Horu cried in pain. His entire body felt numb, so he had no clue whether tears were streaming down his cheeks or if they'd already dried up.