chapter 54

I get ready in the morning and drive to school. I go to class and start teaching when the class arrives.

I look at the empty chair. "Um.. does anyone know where derek is? Mark?" I look at him. "Yeah, I need to talk to you about that actually.." he says.

"Miss grey the principle needs to see you" someone says over the speakers. "Oooooohhhhhh" the class says. I glare at them.

"I'll talk to you later mark" I say. "No, miss! Its really important" he follows me. I get another teacher to watch the class for a bit.

"Mark, what is it?" I look at him. We're in the hallway. "Carol and derek are in the principles office" he says. "What? wh-" I stop as I realise.

"Derek told me to warn you" he says. "Um.. go back to class, Mark.. and thanks" I say. He walks away.

I walk to the principles office. I walk in and see derek and Carolyn sat down. "I'm so sorry" Derek mouths.

"What did you call me in here for?" I ask. "Theres been a complaint about you" the headmaster says.

"Carol" I look at her. "You-" she says. "Can we talk outside first?" I interrupt her. She gets up. We leave.

"Why are you doing this?" I ask. "You slept with a student" she says. "A student who is eighteen.. he came on to me, not the other way around.. and it didn't happen in school.. in school I treat him as if he's any other student" I say.

"You betrayed my trust.. our friendship" she says. "And I'm sorry, but if you do this then I will be fired.. I can't be fired Carol, I love this job" I say.

"Then stop seeing him" she says. "What?" I say shocked. "Its your choice, what's more important to you?" She says.

---

We walk back into the office. He looks at me. I look away. "I'm sorry for wasting your time sir, the issue has been sorted" she says. "Oh, okay Good, you can go" he says. I leave to class quickly. I keep teaching.

He walks in a bit later and sits down. I'm sat at my desk as everyone else is working. He smiles small. "We okay?" He mouths. I look down, ignoring him.

The bell rings. "Okay everyone, pack up and go.. have a nice rest of your day!" I stand up. Everyone leaves apart from him. He closes the classroom door and walks over to me.

"Hey, I'm so sorry about before.. my mom wouldn't listen to me.. I told Mark to warn you" he puts his hand on my waist, the other on my cheek. I step back, gently pulling his hands away.

"Listen, um.. we need to stop doing this" I say. "What?" He chuckles softly.

"I-I just- it's not worth it.. we're causing too many problems.. just for sex" I lean against my desk. "You know that this isn't just sex" he says.

"Whatever it is, it needs to stop" I say. "No" he says. "Yes" I say. "Meredith, I don't understand.. what happened?" He asks. "Nothing.. I just decided that you're not worth it" I shrug. I can tell that hurt him.

"Just go derek, I don't want to see you anymore" I sit down at my desk. "Fine, fuck you!" He walks out, slamming the door behind him. I cry quietly, covering my face with my hands.

I grab my things. I go to the office and tell them I feel ill before going home for the day.