Chapter 3 - Visitors

After her letter to Sebastian and Ominis, Elizabeth debated asking for permission to go visit them. She desperately wanted to go, but knew the Matron would not be pleased by the request. In the end, Elizabeth decided to give it a try, and, in her free time one evening, trekked up to the Matron's office, which was on the top floor of the orphanage. She knocked on the door.

"Enter." Came the Matron's voice.

The room was just as she had remembered it - it still had the bleak, barren feel of the rest of the orphanage, devoid of color, yet it was more well appointed than any other rooms except the front lounge. Madam McLean, the Matron, only added to the austere feeling . She was a severe looking woman, who almost always wore dresses in the same grey as the girls' uniforms. When Elizabeth entered, the Matron's eyes fixed on her, and Elizabeth felt rather like a pinned insect.

"Miss Smith," the Matron said, "What brings you to my office?"

Elizabeth gave a small curtsy as they had been taught to do.

"Madam," she said, "I received an invitation from some classmates of mine to visit them, and was wondering if that may be allowed?"

Madam McLean tapped a finger on her desk.

"Where are these classmates located? What would be the purpose of the visit?"

Elizabeth gritted her teeth. That second question wasn't good.

"They reside in a small village in the Scottish Highlands," Elizabeth said, "And the visit would just be... be for fun."

Elizabeth hid a grimace. She should have thought of a better reason before coming up here. As expected, the Matron's lips thinned.

"Miss Smith," the Matron said, "I understand that you now attend another school, but while you reside in this institution, you are expected to attend the required classes and set an example for the younger girls. In addition, the orphanage does not fund trips for fun."

Elizabeth looked at her shoes. She thought briefly about protesting, saying she had her own money, but it wasn't worth bringing down Madam McLean's ire upon herself.

"Yes ma'am," Elizabeth said, "I understand. Thank you."

Madam McLean nodded, and Elizabeth knew she was dismissed.

-------

By the time Sunday rolled around, Elizabeth was more than ready to make her break for Diagon Alley. When she was, yet again, able to slip away without issue, she began to wonder if, all those months ago, Professor Fig had charmed the attendants into not being overly concerned about her absence.

Leander was waiting for her outside the Leaky Cauldron, leaning against the building, which was good, as she had nearly forgotten her promise to duel with him. He had made a valiant attempt at muggle garb - a suit, which had most of the necessary pieces on properly. She shook her head and smiled at him. He returned her smile.

"I tried," he said, shrugging, "It's good to see you again, Elizabeth."

"It's good to see you too, Leander," she said, "Are we venturing out into muggle London?"

"I thought we might walk to the town house, instead of using the Floo network. It's not too far away."

Like last week, he offered her his arm, and she took it as they walked.

"So, how are we to duel if we are forbidden from doing magic outside of school?" Elizabeth asked.

To her surprise, Leander laughed.