Chapter 99: Lunch and Letters

Previously:
The crew faced the second room/challenge of the tomb: a study that could only be exited by running through the door, which sent one directly into Limbo Mist. Beyond that, they headed through the maze and found the stone guardian quite dead. The kids headed to bed in the tent while Gregorovitch duplicated the books in the burial chamber. Before bed, they chatted about their return to school the following day, and Andrew seemed unenthusiastic about seeing his father again. During the night, Elizabeth awoke from a nightmare, and Ominis comforted her. She dreamt that Sebastian had killed Ominis, like he had killed Solomon. Andrew, regrettably, overheard this.

Elizabeth

Gregorovtich woke them the next morning, leaving Elizabeth mildly mortified that he had seen her nestled up against Ominis on the floor of the tent. They headed back out of the tomb, none of them speaking overly much. Gregorovitch looked dead on his feet, and Elizabeth guessed he had been awake all night copying books. Andrew too looked tired and preoccupied, but didn't say much. Elizabeth assumed he was worrying about their return to school like they had discussed the night before, but she would be lying if she weren't slightly worried he'd overheard something of what she'd said to Ominis.

The gold mist proved just as effective walking through it in reverse, but, this time, they were ready for the Devil's Snare in the forested cave. As they finally emerged from the room of darkness into the cold winter sunlight, Elizabeth's attention was immediately caught by an elegant barn owl. It appeared to have been waiting for them, because as they blinked in the light, it swooped down to land in front of Andrew, sticking its leg out. He bent to untie the letter and sighed deeply as he scanned its contents.

"I was right," he said dully, "My father wants to see me. Hang on, give me a moment to write him back."

He conjured a quill, scribbling a note on the back of the letter. Elizabeth caught a glimpse of what he'd written.

country safely, but I don't think I'll have time for dinner until after our game -

With a lurch, Elizabeth remembered that there was a quidditch match that weekend - in four days' time, no less. It was no wonder that Andrew looked like he was dreading something. After he sent the bird back to his father, they apparated to Feldcroft. Once they were standing beside the hearth in Sebastian's house, Elizabeth fished out the ticket for the ship back to Stavanger.

"I do apologize that it's not until the eleventh," she said, holding the tickets out to him. "We weren't sure how long things would take. We can pay for your stay at the Leaky Cauldron, if you would like?"

Gregorovitch shook his head as he took the ticket.

"These books are worth much more than a few nights' board," he said, giving her a hint of a smile as he tucked the ticket into his pocket. "And, if I am honest, a rest will be welcome before I return. It has been many years since I last visited London."

"Well, let us know if you do need anything before you head out," Elizabeth said, returning his smile. "It was nice to meet you, Mr. Gregorovitch."

They exchanged farewells as Elizabeth offered him the floo powder. However, Gregorovtich paused before stepping into the flames, turning back to them, his expression softened.

"I truly appreciate this opportunity," Gregorovitch said, "I will be able to do much with this information. And... I do hope Miss Sallow is able to recover swiftly. Please, do not hesitate to write if you ever need my help again. I will do what I can."

Elizabeth started, surprised by the sudden sentiment.

"I, er, thank you," she said, "We'll keep that in mind. Safe travels!"