Episode 4:3 - He Irks Me

"This isn't right." Jade complained, craning his neck and checking his watch "He's never late to anything." He looked at Jorah. "I'm usually the late one right?"

Jorah laughed "Well he is allowed to surprise us every once in a while isn't he?"

Jade was not amused. "Should I call him?" He grabbed his phone "Maybe I should call him."

"Jade, relax." Jorah said. "You're acting like a wife who can't find her husband. I'm sure Avalon will be here soon and I'm also sure he has a good reason for being late."

Heaving a sigh, Jade pouted "Fine." he crossed his hands stubbornly over his chest. "He better or else he's not going to hear the end of it."

"I believe you" Jorah chuckled.

Even after Jorah's words, Jade kept his eye on the booth entrance, waiting. This carried on for a whole hour until Avalon arrived.

"Finally." Jade glowered As Avalon stepped into the booth

"I apologize for being late." Avalon greeted his friends. "I got held up." He took a seat.

"No worries, man," Jorah replied "Although I think someone was a bit antsy." He glanced at Jade.

Jade glared at Jorah."Where were you?" He looked at Avalon

"I had an engagement after I left the office."

"What kind of engagement?" Jade raised a brow.

"Why do you need to know?" Avalon's tone became surprisingly harsh. "I don't ask you what you're doing all the time."

Jade's eyes widened in shock. Avalon never spoke to him that way. "I–" he seemed at a loss for words.

Reading Jade's expression and realizing his mistake, Avalon sighed, the harshness draining from his face. "Look, Jade, it was just something I had to take care of," he said more softly. "Nothing important...trust me." He offered a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes.

Jade studied him for a moment, concern etched in his features. Avalon had dark circles around his eyes and looked a little pale. "You don't look like yourself, Avalon. Are you sure everything's okay?"

Avalon hesitated. "I'm fine," he replied "Just a bit tired, that's all."

Sensing the need to lighten the mood, Jorah raised his glass. "Well, whatever it was, I'm glad you made it. Let's not dwell on it." He looked at Jade. "Leave him alone. He's allowed to be late."

"But–" Jade was about to protest when Jorah cut him off.

"Just drop it, Jade."

With a pout, Jade leaned back and took a sip of his drink.

Avalon looked at Jorah gratefully. "How's work going?" he asked.

"Ugh." Jorah rolled his eyes. "It's hell"

"That bad?" Avalon was curious

"I can't wait for it to be over." Jorah griped.

"There seems to be alot of anticipation for its release though." Avalon pointed out.

Their waiter came and Avalon ordered cranberry juice.

"Not drinking tonight?" Jade queried.

"No." he replied succinctly.

Before Jade could get another thing to pester Avalon about, Jorah continued to air his grouses. "It's not only that shitty script. It's the fucking guy."

"What guy?" Avalon asked

Not even wanting to say his name, Jorah ducked his drink back. "Nevermind. Let's just drink."