Episode 18 :Forget Me Not

Partial retrograde autobiographical and historical amnesia. Everything he had done and everyone he had met up until 5 years ago, gone.

The neurologists had the gall to call him lucky. According to him, even with this rare condition, there had been cases where people's entire existence had been wiped clean in their own heads.

Atleast he'd been able to hold on to some of his memories with the hope that one day the rest would return. The damage to his brain had been extensive which also accounted for the length of time he'd spent in that coma.

Before his release, they'd performed every medical test they could to help right the wrong. There were no fractures to his skull. Their best working theory at present was that as a result of the accident, there was a disruption in the flow of blood to his frontal and temporal lobes. It would need to be surgically corrected.

The surgery however, was not without its risks and so they would put it off for now.

Upon Jorah's release from the medical facility, he wasn't immediately taken back home. Additionally, news of his release and current condition were kept tightly under wraps.On a 'need to know basis.'

Afterall, even if he was physically fine for the most part, his condition was still very grave for a public figure. Forgetting a chunk of one's life was a delicate matter and had to be handled as such.

For Jorah, there were things he would need to study. Things he would need to relearn before he would interact with the public once more.

During this period of time, on the doctor's advice, they would proceed with caution and slowly ease him back into the world.

To start, the information he was allowed to consume was controlled. 5 years' worth of information was alot to consume and to make efforts to reacquaint oneself with too much too quickly could be disastrous.

For the current time, his 'rehab' was one of the private islands his family owned. He had everything for his convenience but his access to information was restricted. He was given the important information in small doses. Updates on his family if he asked. On the friends he remembered. Various random events.

Additionally, he was observed by doctors daily. Because this was a less controlled environment, they could get a fair assessment of how he would interact with the world. His short term memory was fine. They found that he wasn't at risk of losing his current memories as he could clearly remember everything he did each day. Additionally, none of his other skills were affected. He was able to communicate efficiently as well as perform tasks that would tap into his procedural memory, he could ride a bike, he could surf the internet, he could still play sports.

By their assessment, he seemed quite fine as long as there were no attempts to ask him questions about what had happened to him in the last 5 years.

They'd tested it, whenever he made any attempts to remember his past, he became extremely agitated. From time to time, he would also have debilitating headaches that would keep him up for hours on end. If the pain was particularly bad, they would sedate him and have him sleep until he found relief.

It was a truly frustrating condition and that was perhaps why the young heir's temper was particularly foul.

Jorah went through a myriad of emotions. There were times when he felt like a prisoner. It was bad enough that he wasn't able to remember on his own, but the people around him were not being very helpful either.

When he asked certain questions he knew they deliberately steered away from it and didn't answer.

Like whenever he asked Zhuzhi about their father. She would almost always pause automatically before replying with the same line "Father is fine. You'll see him soon."