Episode 6.4 - A Kind of Secret

"We've reviewed your latest scans and blood work." Dr. Singh's voice was firm yet gentle.. "I don't think we should put off starting your treatment any longer.'

Avalon sighed. Removing his glasses he pinched the bridge of his nose. The clinical smell of antiseptic mingled with the faint scent of fresh flowers in a vase on his doctor's desk.

"How long is it going to take?" Avalon questioned.

"I don't know." Dr. Singh replied. "But the sooner we start, the better."

Avalon nodded, a knot tightening in his stomach. "And is that my only option?"

Dr. Singh sighed. "There are a few routes you could take but that might only be delaying the inevitable. Based on experience—"

"What are my options?" Avalon cut in.

Dr. Singh looked at his chart. "We can explore radiation therapy. There's also the possibility of enrolling in a clinical trial for a new drug. If all else fails, an intense chemotherapy regimen. Each option has its own risks and potential benefits."

Avalon rubbed his temples. "And what about surgery? Is that still off the table?"

"For now, yes," Dr. Singh replied gently. "The tumor's location and size make it too risky. But that could change if we see significant shrinkage with further treatment."

Avalon nodded solemnly. "Ok. Thank you Dr. Singh."

"And what is it that you intend to do?" Avalon's Doctor queried.

"I'll let you know." he replied. "It's a very critical time for me at work. My company has a merger on the horizon."

"It's also a very critical time for your health as well Avalon." Dr. Singh emphasized. "As your attending physician, I can't express to you how important it is that you make a decision about this soon."

Avalon nodded again. "I will."

"And what about your loved ones?" Dr. Singh inquired. Avalon stopped putting his jacket on.

"What about them?" Avalon looked at his doctor..

"Have you told them? What do they think?"

"I haven't." Avalon confirmed.

Concern was on Dr. Singh's face. "And your friends?"

Avalon looked away, his gaze drifting to the window where the city skyline stretched out, a stark contrast to the confined space of the office. "I haven't told them either," he admitted quietly.

Dr. Singh nodded, Avalon's response confirming what he'd suspected. "I understand this is a very personal decision, Avalon. But having support from loved ones can make a significant difference, both emotionally and physically. I know you said your family is gone so perhaps you should–"

"Did you tell Jade?" Avalon looked squarely at Dr. Singh.

"What?" He was shocked. "Why would I do that? I can't break Doctor-patient confidentiality."

"Ok good." Avalon looked relieved. "I don't want to burden anyone."

"Avalon." Dr. Singh gently touched his knee. "Keeping this to yourself might seem like the best way to protect them. You might think you're doing them a favour but you're doing them a great disservice instead. If they're that close to you. If you love them, I think they should know." Dr. Singh paused. "It also means you won't be carrying this weight alone. It can be incredibly isolating."

Avalon swallowed hard, feeling a lump form in his throat. Logically it made sense but he couldn't bring himself to do it. This burden was his to bear. He would handle it in the same way he handled everything else in his life, by himself. He didn't want anyone's pity.