Episode 17.1 Please...Don't Leave Me

The ambulance bearing Jorah's body, with sirens blaring, cut through the night.

Racing against the clock in the worst weather, tires sloshed on the wet pavement as they raced to the nearest hospital.

Jorah was on a spinal board with a cervical collar strapped on his neck. A rescue splint was on his left leg while he was hooked up to a machine monitoring his vitals as well as a transport ventilator to help him breathe.

The EMTs vigilantly monitored his blood pressure, temperature, and heart rate with diligence en route.

As soon as the ambulance pulled into the emergency entrance, the medical cot was rolled forward with the utmost urgency.

"We have a car accident, the victim is a 27 year old male. Suffered multiple fractures. Patient showing signs of Ecchymosis " they rattled off their initial report to the staff that would be taking over. "Vitals seem to be stable for now but..."

This part of the report was barely finished when the monitor began to beep rapidly. "Patient is going into cardiac arrest! I need 50 joules on the defribrillator!" One of the doctors called out.

Jorah's shirt was ripped open as the machine pulled alongside them and set at first charge.

"Clear!" The two pads were rubbed together before being pressed to Jorah's chest.

His body jolted upon contact with the device. The doctors looked at the machine again. No change.

"Raise it to 100." The Doctor commanded.

"Clear!" Another attempt was made. The purplish discoloration on Jorah's chest was concerning.

"Charge again." The Doctor bellowed

"Clear!" Another shock.

At the third try, signs of life came back to the machine.

" Get him into surgery immediately."

*************************************************************************************

Nine's leg bounced as the car sped through the night.

Since the moment Avalon had called to tell him about Jorah's accident it felt like he'd been violently shoved into some weird, alternate universe where time dreadfully dragged on.

How could this happen? He'd just seen Jorah a few hours earlier. They'd made love, talked and teased. They were supposed to meet at his place to finish their conversation about what was bothering him, now Avalon said he was 'fighting for his life'.

The initial images from the scene were already making their rounds online. It was a wonder Jorah was fighting for his life and not just dead.

Nine bit his bottom lip. Jorah would be okay. He was fighter. The thought of him not being okay was too much for Nine to stomach. He swallowed the lump that was in his chest and blinked back the hot tears that would never stop if he dared allow them to start.

"Hey." Sean looked at Nine. "He's going to be fine."

With misty eyes, Nine could only nod as he anxiously twisted his hands together in his lap.

His mother. His father. His brother. Now Jorah? Fresh tears pricked Nine's eyes.

It seemed like an eternity before they finally approached the hospital. When it came into view, the car slowed down. Even from where he was Nine could see a flurry of activity.

He gritted his teeth. "Are you kidding me?" He frowned when he saw the cameras and people camped outside. Heaving a sigh, he dialled Avalon's number.

"Are you here?" Nine asked when Avalon picked up.