Episode 8.3- Deceptive Truth

"As the main leads for this production, it's important we set the right mood," Michelle addressed the four people standing in the room. She walked languidly by each one, eyeing them in turn. "The main couple is important," she said, looking at Jorah and Nine. "But the second couple also plays a very crucial role." She glanced at the other two. "In fact, in some series, the second couple is just as, or even more, popular than the leads." Jorah and Gage exchanged glances. "The four of you will drive this series. The success or failure depends on you."

"No pressure," Jorah joked, surprising everyone. He had been more agreeable since Nine's accident, a noticeable shift in his demeanor. Considering how difficult he'd been at the start, the change was hard to miss. Still, they exercised caution around him knowing his temper could still flare up unexpectedly.

As usual, Norris looked nervous, and Gage's brows were creased in a frown.

"We're all familiar with our characters. Now it's time to bring them to life," Michelle said, glancing at her script. "When people watch a series, they want to become immersed. They want to laugh, cry, even hate the characters. When you evoke such reactions, you've done a great job." The four listened intently. "Now, who would like to go first?"

"We can go first," Jorah volunteered, surprising them again.

"Okay. Jorah and Nine, you two can start." Michelle glanced at her script again. "Let's start at Scene 25."

Jorah and Nine nodded. Scene 25 was one of the turning points between their characters. If this had been earlier in the project, Jorah would have done anything to avoid this scene. Today, however, he volunteered without protest. He felt a bit nervous and wanted it to go well. Plus, he would be close to Nine, deliberately and intentionally under others' gaze.

"Are you okay?" Nine asked as they walked toward the bed.

An odd sense of panic set in. Did he look weird? Was his slight nervousness showing? Jorah made his face as blank as possible. "I'm good," he replied. "Worry about yourself."

A typical Jorah response. Nine nodded and sat on the edge of the bed. The room was filled with props to set the stage for the scenes.

"You can begin when you're ready," Michelle instructed.

All eyes were on them. Jorah looked at Nine, sitting there. Subconsciously, his eyes flitted to Nine's lips. Those lips he had already kissed in secret. The urge grew inside him again. He bit down on his bottom lip. Focus. This is just a job. Focus.

"You. What am I going to do with you?" Jorah asked, in the character of Landon.

Nine's eyes turned upward to look at him. "I don't know. Get rid of me like you've always wanted."

Jorah frowned. "I wanted to get rid of you?" he feigned ignorance. "When?"

Nine chuckled. "What a shallow memory." He looked at Jorah. "What do you want to do with me then?"

"Do you want a safe answer or the truth?" Jorah brushed his thumb lightly by the corner of Nine's lips.

Everyone knew this gesture wasn't in the script. It was all Jorah. Gage's eyes narrowed. Nine's eyes showed a hint of surprise, but his body betrayed nothing. Remaining in character, he delivered his line in response.

"You would lie to me?"

"Think about it," Jorah replied. "You should know me well enough by now." His voice had taken on a very alluring quality.

The two held each other's gaze.

"You would lie to me," Nine stated, knowing this was the truth.

Jorah gave a teasing smile. "I would lie to you," he confirmed, his voice softened. "But not about everything." His thumb was joined by his fingers as he caressed Nine's cheek. "The way I feel about you is not a lie."