Episode 8.5 - What are you hiding?

"Why did you just show up?" Avalon asked, signing another document.

"Do I need a reason to see you now?" Jade countered.

Avalon removed his glasses and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "That's not what I meant. I'm just surprised, that's all."

Jade glanced at Avalon's new glasses. "I like to surprise you." He smiled widely.

"Mn." Avalon grunted, returning to his work

"You changed your glasses." Jade observed. "What happened to the other one?"

Avalon's pen stopped moving but he didn't look up as he replied. "I broke them"

"Oh?" Jade raised a brow "When?"

"A few days ago." Avalon finally raised his eyes "Why?"

"Nothing." Jade replied. "I just saw a pair of glasses like yours the other day."

"Oh?" Avalon asked casually "Where?"

"Matthew's office." Jade replied

"What would my glasses be doing in your boyfriend's office?" Avalon asked blankly

"He's not my boyfriend." Jade corrected

"But you like him don't you?." Avalon held his gaze

"Two different things." Jade answered.

"Right." Avalon's attention went back to his work.

"For a moment, I thought they belonged to you," Jade gauged Avalon's reaction. Avalon gave his full attention to Jade. "But he said a patient left it there." Jade added

"Well there you go." Avalon concluded "Mystery solved."

Jade was silent for a little while, his eyes trained on Avalon.

"What is it?" Avalon questioned without raising his head. "You're staring at me."

"What's going on with you?"

Avalon looked at him "What do you mean?"

"There's something you're not telling us." Jade theorized

"Don't be ridiculous," Avalon chuckled. "What could I possibly be hiding?"

"I don't know." Jade frowned "If I knew, I wouldn't be asking. You've always been like this."

"Like what?" Avalon challenged

"This thing where you try to handle all your problems on your own."

"Shouldn't I?' Avalon asked. "Who else do I have?"

Jade's frown deepened "How could you ask that? You know Jorah and I are here for you."

"Are you really?" Avalon asked.

"What?" Jade was surprised. "What do you mean?"

Avalon's bit his lip and sighed. "Nothing," he said. "And nothing's going on," he added. "So you don't need to be too concerned about me."

Jade sighed. "Avalon. I don't know what's going on, but —"

"Dammit Jade." Avalon cut him off. He released his pen to fall with a clatter on his desk. "Nothing's going on. Why is that so hard to believe?" His gaze became steely. "Why are you suddenly paying attention to me? Are you that bored?"

"Bored? Wha–"

Avalon's rang, cutting through the tension of the moment. "Yes?" He picked up his secretary's line

"Your 2 o'clock is here."

"Ok. Give me a minute." He hung up and looked at Jade. "I have a meeting" he announced