Episode 17.4 - Is This Really Goodbye?

"What did they mean when they said the 'current climate isn't helpful to his recovery?' " Nine asked, his voice tinged with uncertainty

"I don't know." Jade replied. "If you ask me it's just another piece of the puzzle that stinks." When he frowned his forehead creased deeply. "None of this is making sense."

Nine had heard this before. Ever since this whole saga had started to unfold, Jade never ceased to voice his skepticism at every turn. At first, he'd found it comforting, it had given him hope; afterall, Jade was one of Jorah's closest friends. If he thought something strange was going on, perhaps there was and all it would take was a simple explanation and he would understand it all. It would all make sense.

At a time like this however, hearing those words was simply painful. With each passing day, that beacon of hope he'd held in his heart gradually began to lose its shine.

He wasn't sure what to believe anymore.

Even now, as he was en route to where Jorah was supposed to be, doubt sat in his heart like a thick fog.

He'd panicked earlier when Jorah wasn't at the hospital and in one fell swoop, he'd become so desperate to find him that he'd reached out to Zhuzhi.

Now that he'd had time to think about it, going to see him didn't seem like the best idea. Jorah was still unconscious. Even if he managed to say goodbye to him, Jorah could not receive or acknowledge it.

He'd almost changed his mind about going but Jade wouldn't let him. Now they were at the same private strip they'd used for their group trip.

Nine's heart dipped. Just a short while ago he was being whisked here by Jorah's plan to travel all over Europe. A smile graced his lips. Jorah was so extra. Only he would come up with an idea like that.

"It's so different isn't it?" Jade broke into Nine's thoughts.

"Hmm?" Nine looked at Jade

"The last time we were here, it was for a happier reason."

Nine could only nod.

"Ok. We're here." Jade said to Nine when they pulled in.

Nine smiled gratefully at Jade before pulling him in for a hug "Thank you...and Avalon too."

After alighting from the car, the two briskly walked towards the runway. When Nine saw the ambulance parked close to the jet, his heart sank. He would soon see Jorah again.

Upon their approach, Jade nodded to the man standing by the short flight of stairs to enter the jet. Nine followed closely behind.

Once inside, the pair walked down the aisle of the small jet where they found Jorah in the second cabin with two medical personnel.

"Would you..excuse us for a few minutes?" Jade asked the personnel.

After looking at Jorah, they each nodded and left.

"I'll give you some time." Jade announced shortly after, leaving Nine alone with Jorah.

His eyes were still closed. He was still hooked up to those machines.

Slowly, Nine walked to his bedside and took the empty chair. Tears quickly welled in his eyes as the weight of reality came crashing down on his heart like an avalanche.

"Were you really going to leave without telling me goodbye?" he asked. He gently swept Jorah's hair from his brow. The heavy bandages were gone now but there was still a small patch on the left side, hidden by his hair.

"I don't know what to say." Nine continued to talk. "I don't know how to feel. I'm sad. I'm angry. I'm confused. Everything is a mess . It's such a mess. God." he looked at Jorah. "And it's all your fault." He sniffled. "You just came, upended my life and now you want to leave. You're such a selfish jerk." The words were spilling out faster than he could stop them.