Chapter Nine Distant Dreams & Memories

May 17th

(Loid Forger) I was sitting in the Living Room reading when Anya walked into the living room and she asked me a question Papa what was your childhood like? Yor must've heard Anya's question because she walked out of the kitchen and into the living room and she sat down next to me on the couch and she grabbed my hand and she took it into hers and she gently squeezed it, I then an uneasy breath and I then started to explain my childhood and the brutal war that occurred between east and west.

Yor! Any!a I said to the two most important people in my life at the moment My childhood was pretty uneventful until the day of my seventh birthday when everything changed, It was a bright and sunny July 2nd Afternoon in the year of 1976 when everything in my life changed for the worst, The sun was blocked out by dozens upon dozens of Ostania Bombers flew overhead raining bombs down upon my hometown of Rabenau Westalis, which caused catastrophic damage to the entire town.

During the Chaos my mother and I ran through the destroyed until we reached the train station and we boarded the last train that was able to leave Rabenau during the entire war, My mom Giselle comforted me once we were safely seated on the train my father Hans was in the Westalis Air Force or WAF and he was leading his fighter squadron in battle against the Ostanian Royal Air Force, The train sped full speed ahead to the port city of Schnellburg where mom and I disembarked from the train.

We walked to my uncle Hubert and aunt Georgette home down by the port of Schnellburg which so also happened to be the Home Port of the Westalis Liberation Navy, Once mom and I reached the port and we found my Aunt Georgette and Uncle Hubert's house my Aunt Georgette welcomed us into their home, My mom informed my aunt and uncle on the situation while my oldest cousin Emilia who was seventeen years old at the time calmed me down.

For the next two years everything was going great until Christmas Eve of 1978 the great siege of Schnellburg began with a large artillery bombardment of Schnellburg began, during the last two years the Westalis Army Corps of Engineers constructed several large walls around the city to protect it from attack, Each section of wall was heavily defended by Artillery, Barbwire, Mines, Anti-Tank barriers, and its 1,000,000 man garrison to protect the city and its 3.6 million inhabitants.

(During the artillery barrage a couple of shells landed near my aunt and uncles house which made my Aunt and Uncle as well as my mother to quickly draft up an adoption paperwork for my Cousin Emilia to sign so that she could become my legal guardian, Because my mom as well as aunt and uncle realized that they might not survive the siege of Schnellburg, Emilia quickly signed the paperwork and then we both were instructed to go and pack up everything we owned.

As we packed I asked my adoptive mother Emilia what's going on to which she said all children and their guardians are going to be evacuated by sea to England first before being transported overland to St. Ives and from there we both will be transported over to the United States for sanctuary, Mom then helped me finish packing my stuff before she packed all of her stuff including the adoption papers before we went back downstairs to be ready to leave as soon as the bombardment ended.

Once the bombardment ended Emilia and I embraced our biological parents one last time before Uncle Hubert escorted Emilia and I down to the port of Schnellburg, Once we had reached the port Uncle Hubert led us both to our evacuation ship and once on board the first evacuation ship from Schnellburg set sail, the ship first headed north and after a few hours the ship headed to the West to Great Britain.

I watched Schnellburg become smaller and smaller in the distance until I no longer could see it which greatly saddened me, I had buring determination inside to grow up quickly so I could join in the fight for my country but for the moment I was stuck, Anyways once mine and Emilia's ship where hundreds of children were unloaded and we were all dispersed across the United Kingdom while Emilia and I were transported across southern Britain until we arrived at St. Ives Emilia and I were able to rest up for a week.

Once the week of rest was up we boarded a train to Cardiff where we along with other fleeing refugees were to board maritime vessels to sail to the United States, Throughout the journey Emilia was becoming a great adoptive mother to me and I was slowly getting used to having her being my mom, Upon reaching Cardiff we exited the train to head to the port of Cardiff.

As we walked through town heading towards the port Emilia paid for a newspaper and on the front page The Main Headline Read Schnellburg Falls During A Midnight Assault By The Ostanian Armed Forces
1.6 Million people killed in the assault while the remaining 2.6 Million surviving inhabitants were led to intermittent camps in Ostania.

Mom took my hand and she led me to the port of Cardiff, Upon reaching the port of Cardiff where we both embraced onto a ship that would take us on the last leg of our journey to sanctuary in the States, After another month of traveling across the Atlantic Ocean we arrived in the port of Boston where we disembarked and we headed towards the safe house where we would be protected from any Ostanian agents in Boston.

Upon reaching the safe house we both got settled into the safe house, a few days later Emilia got a job at a local diner to earn us both some money to survive, To answer your question Anya my childhood wasn't the ideal childhood but I wouldn't change it for the world, Maybe your grandma Emilia will come to visit us, Besides mom has been looking forward to meeting you and your mama sweetie.