75. Udvaha (Part 5)

Follow me on Instagram for story-related updates, some creative content and to rant your heart out - handle is- suganthii.writes

--

"Could you write 'X' on my hand, next to my name?" Subhadra whispered conspiratorially into the henna artist's ear.

The lady turned and gave her a scrutinizing look. "You're not married, are you? What's your boyfriend's name?"

Subhadra bristled. "Aunty, stop playing detective. I've already got a mother for that." She glanced around the room and spotted Yashoda sitting next to Jagdish, applying mehendi on his feet. "See there, the woman who wouldn't trust artists like you with her son—that's the groom's mother and mine too."

"Shall I tell your mother then, about this 'X'?" the lady smirked, clearly enjoying the teasing, but Subhadra remained unfazed and smiled back.

"Be my guest," She batted her eyes in mock innocence, her tone dripping with faux sweetness. "No one would believe there's a name starting with 'X'. Just try to name one Hindu name that does."

The lady's eyes widened in shock, her hand pausing mid-air. "Does that mean he's not...!?"

Subhadra couldn't hold back a chuckle. "Relax, Aunty. Just write 'X'. I'll even pay you extra."

"Girls these days!" the lady mumbled in response, shaking her head as she resumed applying the mehendi.

As the intricate patterns began to form on her hand, Subhadra leaned back with a satisfied grin. "Besides," she added with a wink, "a little mystery never hurt anyone."

"You're something else, aren't you?"

"I aim to entertain, Aunty. Now, let's see that 'X' in all its glory." Subhadra's grin widened as she muttered to herself. "My darling, X."

--

"Come on, at least doodle your name on your palm; it's your brother's wedding, not an escape room!" Chandrakant quipped, grinning as he watched Krishna try to dodge the overpowering mehendi scent like it was radioactive. Krishna's hatred for henna was crystal clear as he kept sneaking out for fresh air like a marathon runner grabbing water cups. "At this rate, you'll have run a record before the ceremony even starts!" Chandrakant laughed, while Krishna plotted his next strategic retreat.

Krishna glared. "No, thanks for your suggestion, Bhaiyya."

"Hey Jaggy, you got him those noise-canceling headphones, right?" Chandrakant winked at Jagdish, already hatching a scheme. "Here Krishna is dodging mehendi like it's a swarm of bees, and he's not even lifting a finger for you. Mehendi's good omen, you know! Plus, after Jagdish ties the knot, you're next up on the Singh wedding conveyor belt. Think of this as a rehearsal!"

Yashoda chuckled. "I thought after Sher, it would be you, Kant, who'd get married." She paused applying mehendi on Jagdish's right foot and stared at Chandrakant. "Krishna is too young."

"I said the Singhs, Aunty Ji." Chandrakant patted Krishna's shoulder. "And, he's not that young. You've been searching for a bride for Jagdish since he was, what, twenty-three? This young man will be twenty-three soon."

Yashoda shook her head, a gentle smile gracing her lips. "I have my reasons. Krishna won't need a wife this soon." She resumed applying mehendi. "And who said you aren't one of the Singhs? Your name might be Chandrakant Sahu, but you are my son as well." She raised Jagdish's foot onto her lap, to apply an intricate design. "Sher and you have always been the same to me."

Chandrakant's smile wavered as he settled next to her. "Aunty, I can't be your son," he murmured, guilt edging his voice. "I have too much dirt on me to be called a Singh."

"Who doesn't have dirt on themselves?" Yashoda sighed deeply. "It's been so many years, and I still can't face my brothers to invite them to my firstborn's wedding." Her eyes glistened with tears as she spoke.

"Maa, it's not your fault..." Jagdish said gently, wiping her tears. "They're just too stubborn to see clearly, to see how much you love them."

Chandrakant nodded. "Yes, Aunty Ji, we w—"

Jagdish stopped him, placing a hand on Chandrakant's shoulder and shaking his head slowly. Chandrakant sighed.

"Everyone has dirt, Kant Beta," Yashoda continued softly. "Everyone is impure."

Chandrakant placed his head on her shoulder, smiling as he tried to comfort her. "You didn't do anything wrong."

Jagdish's jaw tightened as he took in the sorrow etched on his lovely Maa's face. "It wasn't your fault, it was someone else's," he muttered, his voice tinged with anger.

--

A/N

I love how everyone brings their own unique vibe to the table. It's like each wedding is its own little series, blending various tastes into one vibrant mix. You've got that one relative dealing with their family drama in the corner, young lovebirds lost in their own bubble, and so much more. Weddings are like a melting pot of different perspectives, all converging in one place. I've tried to capture these diverse narratives, showcasing just how bizarre yet interconnected each story can be. You'll catch glimpses of other tales weaving through these chapters, adding layers to the whole experience.

Also, what do you think Jagdish is trying to hide?

"Mehendi Hai Rachnewali" for Subhadra and her 'X' :)

Vote share COMMMEENTT ;)