Behind The Dialogues

Follow me on Instagram for story-related updates, some creative content and to rant your heart out - handle is- suganthii.writes

--

A big thank you to everyone who read this long story, (the journey of Jagdish and Nishita building their own family) that wasn't a lot long. I mean, I haven't completed it with proper editing but I guess the word count lies between 100K to 120K, which is the usual word count for any proper novel.

Like my other two books in the series, I do have interesting things to share about this story. So, let's start-

Story-

While writing "Not A Simple Engineer Boy!" I had to revisit "A Loan Of Five Rupees" to make sure I wasn't messing up the characters' ages and personalities. That's when I really noticed Nishita and remembered that her name popped up in "Sliver Of Silver" with similar traits. It hit me that I had always intended to write Nishita's story but never got around to it.

Funnily enough, while writing Xavier's story, a lot of past characters bounced back, filling my mind with so many stories and making me giddy. That's how this plot came to be. I had a rough idea because Krishna mentions in his story about Yashoda trying to find a bride for his brother, who is a very busy lawyer. Plus, Nishita adds to the background by talking about how a workaholic her husband is.

It was more than enough to stir up a story and sketch out the main plot points.

Characters-

I guess I put in quite a bit of effort when drafting the characters for this book (not all of them, but definitely the key ones).

Let's see how I sketched them-

Jagdish:

This guy wasn't entirely unexpected. I wanted him to embody the ideal man our society expects, especially since the eldest child in any family often bears the brunt of high expectations. Jagdish had to fit that mold. His parents' story isn't detailed much in Krishna's story because neither Krishna nor Subhadra faced the same hardships in their childhood. Only the eldest son truly understands the struggles their parents endured at the start of their life.

From an early age, Jagdish took on the responsibilities of his siblings, leaving little time for personal relationships. While he did have a few crushes in college and at his firm, he never pursued them. It wasn't that he was uninterested; he just preferred to let his mother find someone suitable for him.

And that's how he first sees Nishita's photo and instantly forgets that any other woman exists in the world (okay, maybe that's a bit dramatic!).

I wouldn't say Jagdish is exactly an introvert. He's more of an ambivert, leaning slightly toward introversion. He has good friendships, engages in meaningful conversations with his relatives, and stays connected with almost everyone he knows. If you recall, he frequently checks in on Alisha and asks about her well-being (mentioned in "Not A Simple Engineer Boy!). That's just who Jagdish is—someone who cares deeply about everyone around him.

I would say, Jagdish's personality is heavily inspired by my husband. Even though he's not the eldest in his family, he fits the "cares and prioritizes family first" mold perfectly. For him, everything revolves around family. While his thoughts and ideas differ greatly from his parents, he respects their choices and, in my opinion, is a great son. Although he never agreed to an arranged marriage (his mom says they never even tried because they knew it wouldn't suit him, lol), he ended up loving and marrying me. I changed that one important point from Jagdish's life and incorporated a few things to make him "Jagdish"

Also, it seems Singh men tend to see one woman, fall in love like crazy, and wait for her, whether it's Krishna, Jagdish, or their father, Veer.

Nishita: