132. Upahar (Part 2)

Follow me on Instagram for story-related updates, some creative content and to rant your heart out - handle is- suganthii.writes

--

"Bittu!" Nishita screamed, her voice filled with excitement as she heard him barking and saw him sprinting towards her. The stray's tail wagged furiously, a blur of motion betraying his eagerness.

Devika tried to hold him back, her firm grip on the leash barely enough to contain the dog's enthusiasm. "Hold on, Bittu," she muttered, struggling to maintain control. But Nishita's furry friend wasn't about to be restrained. His determination to reach her was evident in every powerful leap and bark. He strained against the leash, desperate to shower his beloved Didi with affection.

As soon as Bittu got close enough, he leaped towards Nishita, barking joyfully. She knelt down, opening her arms wide to embrace him. Bittu almost knocked her over with his exuberance as she enveloped him in a warm hug. His fur was soft and warm, and he nuzzled into her neck, still wagging his tail furiously.

"What is Bittu doing here!?" she asked her tone a mix of surprise and delight. Her eyes sparkled with happiness as she looked at the dog, who was now happily panting and trying to lick her face.

Indira smiled and replied, "Well, Jagdishji asked to bring him along with us, and it doesn't seem like he's missing Pune anyway."

Nishita chuckled, clutching Bittu closer. "Oh, so my baby wants to stick with me, huh?" she teased, giving the dog another playful pat. Bittu barked in agreement, his tail wagging so furiously it seemed ready to take flight.

She turned to look at Jagdish, who was grinning like a clown. Raising her eyebrows, she questioned, "What?"

Jagdish's grin widened.

"So this was the reason you threw Viki and Kant out of the house yesterday?" she asked her tone a mix of accusation and curiosity. "And here I thought it was for some other reason..." Her cheeks turned a deep shade of red as she tried to discreetly cover her neck with her dupatta.

Jagdish blushed furiously, his face matching the color of Nishita's cheeks. "Well, the birthday girl should be surprised, right?" he said, attempting to sound nonchalant but failing miserably.

A smile tugged at her lips. "I see..." she said, looking back at Bittu, who was now sitting obediently at her feet, his head tilted as if he understood the conversation.

"Oh, surprises are good," Devika mumbled passing Bittu's leash to Jagdish. Her eyes flicked to Nishita's lips, a knowing smirk spreading across her face as she noticed something that was the secret of Nishita and Jagdish.

She, channeling her inner koala with an arm slung around Jagdish, tilted her head towards Nishita. "Didn't you chirp about flying back to Pune after December, Nishu? Bringing Bittu here now seems a bit pointless, doesn't it?"

Jagdish's face went from sunshine to storm cloud faster than a squirrel finding a nut. January! Nishita's Pune relocation for exams had completely vanished from his memory. Shit! No!

His eyes snapped to look at Nishita, who appeared just as perplexed and blurted out a startled, "No!"

Jagdish and Devika's voices overlapped in surprise as they both questioned, "No?"

"No," Nishita stated firmly.

Neelesh, with a sly smile, chimed in, "So, Jagdishji, is this how Singh's hospitality works? Are we getting invited inside, or should we just head back to Pune, hmm?"

Nishita stared at her father and slapped her head.

Jagdish, resembling a flustered flamingo, sputtered an apology. "Neeleshji, sorry, I, uh... we were just..."

Neelesh chuckled as he patted Jagdish on the back. "Just teasing you, Damadji," he said with a wink. "It seems your reign as King of my daughter's world hasn't truly begun yet. How are you not used to these jokes by now?"

Jagdish burned with embarrassment, feeling like a tomato with legs he could only manage a sheepish "Oh."

--

A/N

Neelesh is quite the character, hehe XD. I didn't get around to writing about his younger days. The Indira and Neelesh story is mostly about Indira. But who knows? If I find the time, I might whip up a short story just for him!

"Hey Shona" for my cuties :) It reminded me of Sparsh from "Heart Clips", hehe, the way he calls his wife Shona.

Vote share CCCOOMENT!