129. Sneh (Part 4)

Follow me on Instagram for story-related updates, some creative content and to rant your heart out - handle is- suganthii.writes

--

Nishita gingerly peeked through the door, her trusty gun tucked discreetly against her stomach. Ready to shoot away in a flash, just in case the threat to Devika turned out to be someone who could swipe her sole ticket to escape danger.

But why didn't she call Jagdish first?

Because... Because it's past midnight, and he transforms into a grumpy bear if disturbed during hibernation...

The excuse felt flimsy even to her own ears, leading to an annoyed nose scrunch.

"Nishu!" Devika barked, startling Nishita who whipped her head around to look. But behind her scantily covered sleepy friend, there was nothing but empty space.

"What?" she whispered, trying to get information about any intruder. Oh, if only they'd had some way to communicate silently, like Morse code with blinks... that would have been perfect.

Devika mumbled drowsily, "Jagdish is here... but he's awfully quiet."

What?

"What?"

"JAGDISH IS HERE---"

"Oh for fuck's sake, I am not deaf, Viki," Nishita said while her shoulder slumped to a relaxed state. She flung the door open fully. "I was saying, he wasn't due back fo—"

Devika sneered, "Whatever fuck! Handle your cranky husband," She turned and retreated to the guest room, muttering to herself. "A girl just needs some rest. First, one asshole doesn't let me sleep, now another fucker ruini..."

Nishita raised her brows and shook her head as she walked back to the room. Dropping the gun back into its place, she patted it lightly as if it were a baby, her fingers lingering on the cold metal. She then closed the wardrobe and yawned loudly, and then... Thought about why was she awake... What was the reason?

Goons...?

Oh, yeah, Jagdish is here...

Shutting the door firmly behind her, Nishita hurried downstairs. Her gaze fell on Jagdish, who sat hunched over on the sofa, his elbows resting on his knees and both hands obscuring his face. There was a hint of tension in his body that hinted at something more—perhaps frustration?

"Jagdish?"

--

As if jolted awake, his head shot up at the sound of her voice. Every restraint shattered, and he surged to his feet, crossing the distance in a desperate lunge for her. "Nishita!"

Nishita, sensing his distress, surged forward, arms outstretched in silent invitation. He collided with her embrace, his choked sobs erupting, "Nishita, you were wrong, Maa hates me!"

In the absence of words, he found comfort in her, holding her close. Silence stretched between them, broken only by his ragged breaths.

The truth spilled out, raw and painful. "She said I'm not her son." He braced himself for a reaction, but Nishita only grew quiet. With a sniffle, he broke from her embrace, his vision blurry with tears. Looking closer, he saw her struggling to stay awake, her eyelids fluttering in a losing fight. Shame pricked him. He shouldn't be unloading on her when she was so exhausted, it was fucking midnight. With a determined sniffle, he wiped his tears and planted a gentle kiss on her forehead. "Sorry," he whispered.

Nishita squeezed him tighter. "Stupid, no need for sorry," she sighed, her voice soft. "Maaji wouldn't have meant it that way, Jagdish."

Jagdish stayed quiet, a choked sob escaping him. She tilted her head to see him crying silently. "Hey, come on, seriously? Still crying? You're giving babies a bad reputation!" she chuckled and observed his shoulders stiffen. "Arey... Acha, okay, okay...  Sorry for the teasing. Cry it out if you need to, I won't judge." With a sympathetic squeeze of his arm, she pulled him along with her.

They retreated to the bedroom, and Nishita shut the door behind him softly. "Would you like to change?" she asked gently. He offered a silent nod, pulling out a familiar, comforting kurta from the wardrobe and changing into it. Nishita had already stretched out on the bed, her gaze fixed on him until he finished.

As he fastened the last button of his kurta, he noticed Nishita smiling with open arms, a silent invitation to cuddle. She beckoned him to join her. A weary smile flickered across his face as he made his way to the bed, collapsing beside her, and pulling her close as she snuggled herself near him. Soft sobs escaped him, but Nishita soothed him with gentle reassurances. Sleep came quickly, her embrace a balm to his soul.

Just being near Nishita, feeling her warmth and silent understanding, was enough to quiet the turmoil within him.

--

A/N

Another fun chapter to write :)

"Ay Hairathe" is a such warm melody, feels like a hug.

Vote share CCOOMMMEENT!