99. Svara (Part 4)

Follow me on Instagram for story-related updates, some creative content and to rant your heart out - handle is- suganthii.writes

--

Devika's gaze softened with concern as she noticed Nishita lying silently beside her, a furrow etching itself between her brows. "Hey Nishu, what happened?" Devika inquired gently. "You seem troubled."

Nishita released a weary sigh. "It's hard to explain, Viki," she mumbled. "Everyone seems to have a different version of Jagdish – his mom paints one picture, his sister another, and his brother yet another. But the Jagdish I see is...different. Completely different." Another sigh escaped her lips, heavier this time. "Even though I had been intrigued by his silence... It's only been a day, and I already feel drained trying to decipher him. He's like a different person when he's around me."

Devika offered a knowing smile. "He's in love," she teased, nudging Nishita playfully, "...with you."

"Love?" Nishita's cheeks flushed a delightful pink. "How would you know about that?"

Devika's grin widened. "Did he maybe confess his feelings for you last night?"

Nishita's blush deepened further, betraying a hint of truth in Devika's words. "Were you eavesdropping by any chance?" she asked, feigning annoyance.

Devika chuckled. "If I were, Nishu, trust me, I'd be privy to every detail of your night together." she shook her head. "No, eavesdropping wasn't necessary. It's the way he looks at you, the way his eyes follow you around the room. It's like you're the only thing that matters in his world... like his entire world revolves around you."

"That's ridiculous," Nishita protested weakly. "and a bit dramatic, wouldn't you say?

Devika's smile remained. "Not at all. Maybe I'm not the best person to explain to you, but I've seen the way love manifests in someone's eyes, the way a man looks at his love. And trust me, Jagdish is undeniably smitten."

Nishita hesitated, a flicker of uncertainty crossing her features. "But... I'm not sure I feel the same way yet," she admitted.

Devika squeezed her hand reassuringly. "Love takes time to blossom, Nishu. But you like him, right?"

Nishita blurted out a quick "Yes," her cheeks burning even brighter under Devika's knowing smirk. "I mean, of course, I do! Why else would I have married him, right?"

Devika chuckled knowingly. "Ah, that clears things up a bit. Nishita, Jagdish has likely spent his life conforming to expectations, never quite revealing his true self. Perhaps with you, he feels comfortable and safe enough to breathe and be who he truly is finally. That might explain why you find him a bit confusing at times."

Nishita stared at Devika, a hint of amusement softening her frown. "Since when did you become such a philosopher?" she teased.

"I am quite knowledgeable." Devika winked, "I could help you in other departments too if you are ready."

Nishita rolled her eyes playfully, a slight smile tugging at the corners of her lips.

--

Krishna watched his sister Subhadra hang up the phone after a long conversation. "Who was that you were talking to for so long?" he inquired, his voice stern.

Subhadra shot him a curt glance. "Just a friend, not your fucking business to keep a tab on me," she spat, brushing past him to head inside.

He reached out and grabbed her arm. "Watch your language, Choti," he seethed. "I am not Bhaiyya; I won't tolerate your nonsense. I heard you ended the call with a kiss."

She struggled to free her arm. "For your information, I'm not sitting on your head," she snapped, making a face. "And aren't you ashamed of eavesdropping? I can kiss whoever I want; I don't need your permission."

"Choti!" he raised his voice, "If you're dating someone, I advise you to think twice before doing anything reckless. We both know why Bhaiyya doesn't talk to Pap—"

Before Krishna could finish his sentence, he observed Mohini staring at them with open curiosity.

He quickly loosened his grip on Subhadra's arm and she, clearly upset, yanked her arm free. "I can handle my own relationships, Krish. Thank you very much." With that, she stormed off into the house, leaving him there, fuming.

"Mohini," Krishna said, his voice regaining a semblance of calmness despite the lingering annoyance in his eyes. "Fancy seeing you here. Did someone need anything again?"

"Seems like it." Mohini shrugged nonchalantly. "Aunty asked to buy two packets of milk. Figured I'd lend a hand."

Krishna grunted in response, offering a half-hearted gesture toward the shop. "Sure, well, I was just heading that way anyway. Might as well tag along, you won't get bored alone."

Mohini scoffed. "The shop's literally around the corner, Krishna. Hardly a journey that requires an escort."

Krishna stopped walking abruptly, "Look, Mohini, is everything alright?"

"What?" Mohini snarled.

Krishna sighed, his shoulders slumping. "Never mind," he muttered, watching her as she glanced back at him. "Maybe you should just grab the milk yourself. Seems like every woman is feeling a bit... shitty around me nowadays." He turned on his heel and started walking back towards the house.

--

A/N

Krishna be like: kya mushkil hai inn auraton ko? Kyu mere jaan pe bani rehti hai!? (What's the problem with these ladies, why are they so annoying!?"

"Ladki Kyu" suits Nishita's overthinking, as well as Krishna's annoyance.

Vote share COOMMENT!