78. Vivaha (Part 3)

Follow me on Instagram for story-related updates, some creative content and to rant your heart out - handle is- suganthii.writes

--

"Where are you off to, Mr. Baggy?" Devika grasped Chandrakant's hand and tugged him aside. "Hey, my future landlord, mind sparing a moment from your best man duties? I need you to draft your tenant a detailed set of do's and don'ts."

Chandrakant jerked his hand away. "I don't want to talk to you, ever. That's the first and only rule in my flat," he retorted sharply, whirling around and leaving Devika bewildered by his abruptness.

She should have been the one boiling with anger over his dismissive attitude, yet here he was, showing her attitude! How dare he? She was about to follow him and give him a piece of her mind when her phone rang loudly, interrupting her thoughts. The screen flashed Shravan's name.

"What?" she snapped into the phone.

Shravan sounded panicked. "Viki, I need your help. Mitu suddenly fainted."

"What!?"

"I don't know what to do! We're in the bride's room and haven't told Nishu yet. She'll panic and leave her own sangeet to be with us."

"I'll be there in a minute, don't worry." She ended the call and looked in the direction Chandrakant had gone. She'd deal with him later; there was an emergency to handle. Without wasting another moment, she hurried towards the bride's room, her heart pounding with worry for Asmita.

--

"You're looking a bit jittery," Jagdish remarked, his touch on Nishita's hand as gentle as a feather flying in the air, his thumb tracing comforting circles. "What's on your mind, Nishita?"

Nishita swallowed hard. "Well, I'm supposed to be the picture-perfect bride, radiating calm and poise."

Jagdish furrowed his brow, a puzzled expression flickering across his features like a passing shadow. "I'm not quite getting it."

"Jagdish," she rushed to explain, "for you, this marriage is just another milestone. But for me? It feels like stepping into the unknown, leaving behind everything familiar to join you in the whirlwind of all this grihasti and bullshit." Her hand slipped from his grasp, anxiety casting a shadow over her features. "Yes, I agreed to marry you, but now it feels like I'm standing on the edge of a cliff, wondering if I've thought this through enough and—"

"Wait, wait, wait," Jagdish interjected, his eyes widening in concern. "You're having second thoughts?"

Nishita shook her head vigorously. "No, no, I definitely want to marry you," she affirmed, though her voice wavered slightly as her cheeks tainted from embarrassment at such determination. But amidst her anxious ramblings, her heart whispered, "But... But I'm just terrified of what lies ahead."

Jagdish let out a heavy sigh, his gaze softening with understanding. "And what kind of future are you hoping for?"

"You... You," she pleaded, frustration tingling at the edges of her words, "can't you just listen without dissecting every word?"

Clutching her hand with unwavering resolve, Jagdish offered a tender smile. "Wifey, I can't bear to see you fret. I refuse to witness you doubt yourself or lose sleep over trivialities."

"Trivial matters?" Nishita's voice rose an octave, eyes flashing with indignation. "My whole life is being uprooted, and you call it trivial?"

"Do you fancy staying in Pune?" Jagdish interrupted gently before she could unleash another torrent of words. "Stay here, continue shaping young minds, and prepare for your exam without losing your peace of mind. Mumbai can wait. I'll be there, patiently waiting for you."

"Are you fucking out of your mind?" Nishita exclaimed, swatting his hand away. "No, scratch that, you're completely crazy."

"Perhaps," Jagdish conceded, his smile unwavering. "But I can't bear to see you unhappy."

"Jagdish!"

"It's settled, my sweet Nishita," he declared with a twinkle in his eye. "Just be happy. I'll handle the logistics with our families. You focus on becoming a brilliant C.A. and later join me in Mumbai, alright?"

"Oh God, I shouldn't have opened my mouth!" Nishita mumbled, "Mami was right about it."

"But please don't make me wait for long," he murmured in her ear as his cheeks turned Nishita's favorite shade of red.

--

A/N

My readers' minds be like- We wanted them to kiss, not live long distance. XD

Well, let's see if Jagdish is able to keep up his word or not.

I've been eagerly anticipating incorporating "Aaj Se Teri" into this specific plot point for quite some time. The song beautifully illustrates how a woman's identity can transform for her husband and how the husband is willing to go above and beyond to ensure her happiness after she makes significant sacrifices only to be with him. While I may not wholeheartedly agree with a lot of sacrifices that usually a woman has to make to adjust to a completely new environment, there's a sweetness and beauty in both parties compromising to build a life together and forge a lifelong bond.

Vote share COMMMENT :)