122. Kutumb (Part 2)

Follow me on Instagram for story-related updates, some creative content and to rant your heart out - handle is- suganthii.writes

--

Jagdish could feel his cheeks burning.

She had blurted out her thoughts, and he couldn't help but feel a mix of coyness and amusement at her astonishment over him being not only beautiful but also her husband. Her eyes widened, and a blush spread across her cheeks as she realized what she had said. He smiled softly, feeling a warmth in his chest. How was a man supposed to respond to such a whimsical and endearing compliment?

"Oh shit!" she exclaimed, squeezing her eyes shut and shaking her head. "That was not supp—"

He gently took her hand and placed it over his heart, the warmth of her touch radiating through his skin. "Yes, I am your husband, Nishita," he said, his eyes twinkling with a playful mischief. Leaning closer, he whispered, "Am I beautiful enough to deserve that title?"

Her cheeks flushed from pink to red, but her eyes narrowed, squinting in a fit of mock anger. "Well, one has to be handsome enough to be Nishita's husband. I don't choose mediocrity."

"Nah, not handsome..." he murmured, his voice a low, intimate whisper as he leaned in closer, his breath warm against her ear. One hand slid down, his knuckles caressing her waist with a slow, deliberate touch, removing her shirt to her side. "I don't want to be handsome; I want to be beautiful." His fingers pressed gently but firmly against her skin, his gaze locking onto hers with a smoldering intensity. "So, tell me," he whispered, his voice like velvet, "am I beautiful enough?"

"Ah, Jagdish!" she moaned, feeling timid yet finding her shaky voice. "You are teasing me!"

With tender nibbles tracing her jawline, he murmured, "Do I?"

A sudden, sharp noise sliced through the air from outside, the sound of shattering glass echoing in the stillness. Startled, both lurched apart, a jolt of alarm electrifying their gaze. Their hearts pounded in a frantic counterpoint to the shattering intrusion.

--

"Who's there?" Nishita shouted. There was no response; she immediately stood up and deftly put her hair in a bun. She turned towards him, eyes wide with concern, "Did you keep the doors open?"

He shook his head and hastily grabbed his kurta from the floor. As he hurriedly pulled it over his head, a sense of urgency gripped him. Just as he was about to finish dressing up, his eyes darted around the room. "Nishita!?" he called out, his voice tinged with concern, as he realized she was nowhere to be seen.

What the fuck?

"Yeah, I'm heading downstairs," he heard her reply nonchalantly.

This woman!

Urgently shouting as he dashed to his bedroom, "Stop! Don't go anywhere!" The tense silence that followed sent his heart racing with worry. With a frantic lunge, he ripped open the wardrobe, snatched his gun, and sprinted downstairs, desperately calling out, "Nishita!"

"Calm down!" she barked back from the stairs. "It's probably just a stray cat, alright? I need to see if it's hurt."

"No one is going to give you an award for bravery for being this foolish," he replied, rushing toward her, his voice edged with frustration. "It could be anyone!"

"Who would..." Her words trailed off as her eyes fixed on his hand. "Is that a gun?" she asked, her voice barely a whisper.

Jagdish stood motionless, his eyes fixed on the shattered window. Nishita's heart raced uncontrollably, a drumbeat echoing in her ears.

"Why do you have a gun, Jagdish?"

He didn't respond immediately, his jaw clenched, muscles taut with tension.

"Jagdish?"

Inhaling sharply, his gaze flickered between her and the broken window. Without warning, he pushed her to the side, his hand steadying as he aimed the gun toward the jagged hole in the glass.

She panicked. "Jagdish!"

"Nishita, don't move, please..." he pleaded, advancing cautiously with the gun aimed straight ahead. "Who's there?" he yelled. "Come out or I'll shoot you motherfuckers!"

There was no reply.

"Jagdish, there is something on the floor," Nishita's voice reached his ear. His gaze snapped to the scattered glass pieces, glinting ominously in the dim light. Among them, a stone rested, its size enough to shatter a window.

But for that window to break, someone would have had to traverse the courtyard—no easy feat unnoticed as opening the main gate without making noise was impossible. This wasn't mere mischief; it hinted at something darker, something deliberate.

Keeping his gun steady, he bent down to pick up the stone and noticed a small piece of paper stuck to it.

"What is it?" Nishita questioned anxiously.

Unwrapping the paper, he read silently, 'Hope you received the message. Singh Ji, withdraw yourself from the case, I am sure you know which case. - H. K.'

"That son of a bitch!" He cursed under his breath.

--

A/N

Well, well, well... He has a gun... HE HAS A GUN!? (That was my reaction as well, btw)

Anyway, "Sunta Hai Mera Khuda" because I just wanted to add it here, lol. No explanation, mera book meri marzi XD

Vote share COOOMMEENT :)