88. Grahapravesh (Part 3)

Follow me on Instagram for story-related updates, some creative content and to rant your heart out - handle is- suganthii.writes

--

"Your aunt looks quite young," a woman whispered to the man standing next to Nishita, who had been glued to him like Velcro since they arrived. "How old is she?"

"She's younger than Uncle Mahadev," he replied and before she could pry further, he added in a conspiratorial tone, "Hey, Drishti, can you hold off on the inquisition until we're home? I promise I'll spill all the family secrets then, deal?"

"Karan, I wasn't prying for gossip!" whoever was this Drishti, hit Karan, presumably cousin of Jagdish, playfully in his arm. "I was just marveling at the fact that she's got a son older than you."

"Well, Jagdish is technically younger than me," Karan clarified. "Just a few months, but who's counting?"

Drishti grinned mischievously. "And he's already married," she teased, giving Karan a seductive look. "Meanwhile, look at you, postponing our wedding for a year after our engagement. The tragedy!"

Karan chuckled, feigning innocence. "Hey, blame your wanderlust for wanting to jet off to London for your master's," he leaned in as he whispered. "I would've married you the moment my eyes laid on you..."

"Ah, Karan," Drishti gently pushed him away. "It took ages to convince your father about us, and here you are talking about marrying when we were teenagers. So silly."

Nishita felt a pang of irritation. It was meant to be romantic banter, but she found it rather cringeworthy.

Waewaewae, waewaewae...

They're your family. Stop mocking them.

Family, yes, my stupid family!

Adjusting the stubborn pallu on her head that kept slipping, she turned her attention to Jagdish, who was standing somewhat apart from her, seemingly engrossed-or rather, nodding robotically-at a group of people. She shot him a glare. Shouldn't he be right by her side, charming her with conversation, instead of nodding like a cow at every person? This was what she got for being related to him, and it was only the first day!

She scanned the room for Devika, who appeared deep in conversation with Mohini and Subhadra, evidently enjoying herself. Everyone seemed to have found their social matches for the evening-everyone except her, the bride. Here she was, seated quietly, observing the room, utterly bored by the incessant background chatter.

Feeling slightly abandoned amidst the sea of unfamiliar faces, Nishita couldn't resist but sigh in defeat.

Battling a yawn, she studied her hand. The mehendi was stunning, especially the way Jagdish's name peeked out from under a delicate peacock design. She couldn't suppress a smile at the thought of Jagdish puzzling over finding his name in her hand. She imagined Jagdish scratching his head in search of his name amidst the intricate patterns, while she simply admired his handsome face.

Err, what???

"Bhabhi, lost in thoughts about which circle of hell you've landed in?" Krishna plopped down beside her, grinning like a fool. "Looks like you're enjoying yourself, huh?" His teasing was thick with sarcasm.

She clicked her tongue. "Tsk, I'm enjoying immensely, don't you doubt it, my dear Devarji," she retorted, studying him. "And what about you? Reveling in the company of your cousins?"

Krishna glanced around, feigning contemplation. "Ah, cousins..." He turned his head, counting the young men and women around them. "I seem to have lost track."

Nishita chuckled. "Thanks to your Bhaiyya," she continued with a smirk, "he practically imported Maaji's entire family from Mathura."

"Hmm," Krishna sighed. "He's absolutely crazy about family, especially Maa and Subhadra. He adores them to no end. He would even bring stars for Choti, such love much wow."

"And what about you and Papaji?" Nishita tried to probe further.

"He loves me, undoubtedly," Krishna nodded thoughtfully, "but there are times when I feel a bit overshadowed. My competitive nature doesn't seem to bother him much though," he mused, a wry chuckle escaping him. "In fact, he might even find it entertaining. But when it comes to Papa..." He paused, a touch of introspection coloring his tone. "I haven't witnessed many profound heart-to-heart talks between them, you know, where they truly see eye to eye."

"Really?" Nishita wasn't surprised. Nothing about this family surprised her anymore.

--

A/N

Nishita is so like me in this situation. I remember how annoyed I was during my wedding reception, so much so that I shouted at a random kid who was crying continuously XD I wasn't the silent shy bride, for all the money in the world, I couldn't control my anger.

Also, Devar-Bhabhi bonding moment. Awww, I am waiting for more of these moments actually :) I would like to add more (rant) to this later when there comes a particular moment that kind of shows how important their bond is.

"Jaane Kyu" from Dostana kind of fits Devar-Bhabhi jodi here. If you have read my other works, you might know why XD

Vote share COMMMEENNTT ;)