117. Kalaha (Part 2)

Follow me on Instagram for story-related updates, some creative content and to rant your heart out - handle is- suganthii.writes

--

After the Diwali celebration, Krishna left for Delhi, leaving Nishita with only Subhadra for company. Obviously, she wasn't going to melt soon from her wrath towards Jagdish's behavior. Let's just say, forgiveness wasn't on the menu anytime soon. For Jagdish to earn back her good graces, a groveling apology and a bouquet wouldn't cut it. He was looking at a full-blown Everest expedition in the forgiveness department.

It had been a week since her dear Devar's departure, and Nishita and Subhadra had already become the closest of friends. Despite the year-and-a-half age difference, a surprising connection blossomed between them. Their evenings were filled with animated discussions, a shared love for dissecting life's complexities fueling their connection.

In a house full of people working in law and order, Subhadra was a refreshing change, having chosen to study science. Nishita came to know that Subhadra had taken after her mother; Yashoda had studied chemistry during her undergraduate years but had to drop out due to her marriage with Veer and pregnancy. She had been academically inclined since childhood, much like her brothers, who were all toppers as well. Subhadra had topped state-level exams in twelfth grade and secured good ranks in all engineering entrance tests. However, a bit of wanderlust led her to select a college in Kerala, allowing her to travel a bit.

Nishita loved the photos Subhadra showed of her college friends, the parties, and the tiny trips she had taken. In return, Nishita shared her own college photographs and travel experiences. Every time Nishita showed a picture of a rural village, Subhadra's reaction was one of constant bafflement and awe, exclaiming, "Bhabhi, that looks so unreal! How did you travel to such places?"

It was endearing to be around Subhadra. Nishita realized that having a sister meant having a companion to share with without fear of judgment. This was probably why Nishita bonded most with Devika, her soul sister.

As Subhadra scrolled through her photos, a particular face kept reappearing. A guy with a mess of dark curls, tall and lean, sported a perpetually sunny dimpled grin in every picture. Nishita couldn't help but notice a subtle shift in Subhadra's demeanor whenever she lingered on his photo. A flicker of something more—maybe a hint of shyness or a touch of love—danced in her eyes.

Clearly, there was a story behind this boy, and Nishita, with a knowing smile, decided to nudge Subhadra a little.

"See, this is the project I'm working on... and these are my friends, again," Subhadra said, waving her phone like a magic wand as she swiped through a gallery of vibrant college pictures. Her eyes sparkled with enthusiasm as she explained the intricate details of her project, her passion spilling over into her words.

Nishita leaned in closer, her curiosity piqued. "Who's your best friend in this bunch?" she asked, a mischievous glint in her eye. Subhadra's cheeks turned a delightful shade of pink, and she fiddled with a loose thread on her shirt, avoiding Nishita's gaze.

"Nothing like that, all are good friends," Subhadra insisted, shaking her head with a defiance that was undercut by her blush. She attempted a neutral tone, but her cheeks betrayed her.

Nishita's smile widened. "I know it's only Jagdish who wouldn't cross the lines drawn by his mother," she said with a knowing chuckle. "You and Krishna are both going to give Maaji a heart attack."

"Bhabhi!" Subhadra pouted, her eyes wide with mock horror. "Don't say that. Xav is..." She trailed off, biting her lip and facepalming as Nishita laughed aloud.