Christmas

A/N: This chapter is quite small and I apologize for that. I had a death in the family this week and my mind has been a bit of a whirlwind. My ideas about how to move forward have slightly changed. So some minor restructuring might occur over the next few days. Sorry in advance for the confusion.

Christmas Day 2024

The baby's movements woke Marjorie early. Reece felt her move to sit up and he startled her a little when he reached out to pull her back in. "Merry Christmas, gorgeous," he said. In one fluid motion he reached for his night stand and pulled her back into his arms. "I have something for you Marjie." She giggled both at how swiftly he moved her and the nickname she wasn't particularly fond of but let him get away with. He handed her a small present. She carefully opened it and found a beautiful emerald ring. Inside was the name they had chosen for their son. Her eyes glistened with tears as she thanked him. He kissed her softly and explained that it is the birthstone for May so he hoped the baby wouldn't be late. Otherwise he would have to buy her a new one. Reece wasn't particularly romantic and he wasn't particularly good with words unless he was joking around or being sarcastic, so this gesture meant even more to Marjorie and her tears gave way to sobs. "If you don't like the ring, we can return it and pick a setting you like better," he said. I love the ring , and I adore you, she replied. She kissed him softly on the lips.

They laid there in silence afterwards and Marjorie couldn't help but think back to how lonely she was last Christmas. "Merry Christmas, Marjorie," she remembered saying to herself. Now her life was so full. They were even closer to their friends, they had each other, and they had their little boy. Her hand instinctively went to her bump as she thought about him. Reece felt her movement and intertwined his fingers with hers over their baby.

She had chased after love for so long, but this was more than she imagined or hoped for. The way he loved her was intense and undeniable.