The Cook Off: Reece's Turn

As much as he hated being stuck in the kitchen with nothing to do, the man loved being in the kitchen to cook. The kitchen was his turf. The comfort zone of his and Aut's childhood. He was calmed by the mere process of cooking.

He pulled them back into the kitchen shortly after brunch leaving them little time to be with their families. That meant no end of grumbling from Mia who felt like she hadn't spent much time with Char or the children all weekend. She tried to get Char to give up her vote like Marjorie, but she had refused. Charlotte had always liked a good puzzle.

Reece needed time because he wanted to roast the meat low and slow. He wanted to make sure it was as juicy and flavorful as possible. He cut potatoes, carrots and celery and made a bed of them before putting the roast in.

His plan was to make Yorkshire pudding, but he had scoured the internet for an alternative recipe because if he used his own, they would all know immediately that it was him. He also refused to lower his standards and feed them food that wasn't flavorful and memorable.

He refused to buy horseradish sauce as he preferred to make his own, but that too would be recognizable, he feared, so again he went to the internet to get a recipe.

For a dessert he decided to go with individual strawberry shortcakes that he thought would pair nicely with Viv's berry compote from this morning and maybe throw them off the scent.

He could hear Mia grumbling again, but didn't look up to see what her issue was until he heard her voice. Marjorie and Mia were bickering back and forth. "Because it is none of your concern until they make it your concern. When did you become so obsessed with being in everyone's business?"

"Marjie why don't you go sit at the island and watch Reecy cook. Maybe you would learn how to not burn water."

"I might burn water, but at least I don't go around burning bridges because I am bored and need a little excitement in my life."

"I am not ...bored." Mia looked around. Reece knew that look. Marjorie had just hit the nail on the head, and now Mia was embarrassed. "Oh, go fuck yourself, Marjorie."

Marjorie knew it too. Mia walked away with her arms crossed. She wasn't fooling anybody. Least of all Marjorie.

It stayed pretty quiet in the kitchen after that until Reece announced that they were ready to serve.

Everyone raved about the meal, but they couldn't place who had made it. Reece's plan had worked. By not using his own recipes, the group had a tough time placing his work.

Charlotte and Marjorie had printed off little slips that the group could use to make their votes. They were to first place the cook to the meal and then finally vote for the best meal.

Since Marjorie had given up her vote to help, she counted the tally and checked to see how many matches people made.

"Well, in an interesting turn of events only two people guessed any of the meal/cook combinations correctly. Clodagh was able to place Vivian and Winter with their correct meals, but switched Mia and Reece. However, Char matched every cook and meal. That being said, meal number three, Vivian's brunch won the over all vote!"

"Hey, Viv, if you ever want to embark on a new career give me a call. You can work at the restaurant anytime."