October

2024

The Knight Halloween ball was all most of the nursery could talk about the first few weeks of October. It didn't matter if they were going or not. It was really the first year everyone knew it existed so it was big news. Unfortunately, for Charlotte it was more of a distraction. She wanted to focus on an event that was much more thrilling and important to her. Why she and Mia decided to get married on the 24th of October knowing they would be expected to attend the ball was beyond her in the moment.

Her frustration was mounting as the wedding itself was coming together, but they were still waiting on unanswered RSVPs and she had no idea what final number she should give the caterer. She decided she would send one more email giving everyone a deadline of the tenth. That was really the latest they could wait to have everything in place in time.

Mia could see the frustration on her face and felt a pang of guilt. She knew most of the people holding out was her own family. Her mother and brother hadn't even RSVPed, and Mia was at the point that she didn't care. She had pushed for a big white wedding, and now her family was affecting her sweet girl. She slipped away telling Charlotte she would be right back, but truthfully she barely heard her because she had moved on to the seating arrangement.

Charlotte hadn't wanted the big white wedding because she had already done that with Jack, but she couldn't bare for Mia not to have one of her own. She smiled at the memory. Mia's face lit up like a little child on Christmas morning. Charlotte hadn't realized until that moment how much Mia dreamed of this beautiful and elegant wedding. She had up to that point wondered if it was more about being showy. Mia still struggled not to throw money at problems or to use it to make a big show of things.

Charlotte was simpler. She would have been happy with a small, intimate ceremony. Doing the big wedding had become a labor of love. She was frustrated, but she wasn't resentful. As she did with so much in her life, she had planned a huge soirée with grace. Mia was involved in the planning and decision making as well, but for her it was all exciting.

Charlotte took one last look at the seating arrangement before looking up. Mia had just re-entered the kitchen with a big smile on her face. "Change of plans for tonight," she announced. Charlotte grumbled almost immediately. "Mia, we have so much to do." How could she be thinking of going out right now?

Mia nuzzled into Char's neck. "Come on, baby! You're tense we need to walk away from this and get out. Besides everyone has already agreed." Mia had a way of getting what she wanted. Charlotte didn't know if she did it on purpose or if it was a subconscious power, but she could persuade her to do things she absolutely didn't want to do. She was sure tonight was not going to be different. She smiled to herself and then gave in.

As she started for the stairs, Mia spoke. "Hey, wear that dress we bought in Italy." Charlotte thought about the gown. Mia had bought it for her the night they went to the Opera. She had felt like a princess in the moment. The whole Italy trip had been like a dream. The Opera. The exquisite cuisine. The love making. Charlotte snapped herself back to the present. They wouldn't get out of the house if she let her mind go there. She wondered if the gown was a bit over the top for a night out with friends, but figured maybe Mia had something more elegant planned. She rolled her eyes and continued getting ready.

As she came down the stairs her eyes locked with Mia's and her breath caught. Mia stood there in a floor length, black gown that clung to her body in all the right places.

As they drove, Charlotte knew they weren't going to any of their usual places. She knew it would do her no good to ask where they were going because Mia wouldn't have told her anyway, so she closed her eyes and relaxed. Mia looked over and realized that Charlotte had fallen into a soft slumber. She reached over and held her hand as she slept.