The Cook Off: The Final Night

After Marjorie read the results, everyone congratulated Viv and then settled into the lounge. It was their last night. Being together like this happened less and less. They all saw each other now and then, but the dynamic they had when they were all together was a different feeling and experience.

Char was nervous to make the suggestion. She didn't want to feel heartbroken if people declined. She knew Mia could be abrasive with people, and she sometimes made things uncomfortable. Her heart wanted this though and if Mia knew that, she would move heaven and earth to make it happen. "What if we do this once a year? Maybe in the summer so people can use the pool."

There was chatter amongst the group, but most seemed interested. Marjorie was especially animated about it. "Twice a year. Reece and I could host a get together at Christmas. I know we have always done that separately, but do you guys remember all coming to mine in 2023? That is still one of my favorite Christmases."

The consensus seemed to be that everyone wanted to do it. So that was the beginning. A long weekend in the summer and the Knight Family Christmas all started right in the lounge that night. A way to keep them together even when life pulled them apart.

Little did the rest of the group know, Marjorie and Char were holding a secret that they feared would cause chaos among the group. They just weren't entirely sure when that secret would be revealed. Which made them even more nervous.

Mia opened a few bottles of wine, and the group happily chatted away long into the night. Even Mia was being more pleasant. Although she never really had recovered her tolerance to alcohol after the twins so it could have been that she was a little drunk.

When Carly and Eric stood, Char and Marjorie both stiffened. It probably would have gone unnoticed if Reece hadn't sensed Marjorie stiffen in his arms while watching Char do the same. "Okay, what is going on? You and Charlotte both just stiffened at the same time." They both tried to play it off like they were just a bit cold, but Carly cut them off.

"It is okay guys. We are ready to tell everyone. I have literally grown up right in front of many of you, and I know that this might come as a shock, but Eric and I well..." she trailed off and Eric, Marjorie and Charlotte all moved to be with her and support her. "Eric and I are going to have a baby. It wasn't planned, but we are happy about it. And before anyone asks, yes, we plan to finish University. I hope you all can understand and will support us, but we understand if you need time or space."

Most of the group moved to hug and congratulate them, but the one person she needed to, didn't move. Reece just sat there with his jaw clenched before he excused himself and left the room.

Marjorie ran after him. "Reece? Reece what are you doing? She needs you."

"I can't Marjorie. Not yet. I need a moment."

"She isn't a little girl anymore, Reece. She is nearly 20 and you are closer to her than her actual father. She needs to know that she will be okay. She needs to hear that from you."

"Marjorie, I need you to let me walk away for a minute. I know you mean well, but I need a moment to process this."

Her heart sank, but she gave him a kiss on the cheek and walked away. She wasn't disappointed in him, but she was concerned. She knew how close he and Carly truly were, and she hated the idea of them losing that.

She walked straight back to Carly and pulled the now crying girl into an embrace. "It will be okay. He will come around. You just need to give him a bit of time, but it will be okay."

She hoped she wasn't lying.