Charlotte and Mia

2024
The day after the proposal: Charlotte and Mia

Mia was the first one awake. She very gingerly extracted herself from the tangle she and Charlotte had made of themselves throughout the night. She looked back at her sweet Charlotte before she quietly left the room. She checked on the girls in their rooms. All still sleeping. She headed downstairs. She had a few things being delivered today, and she didn't want the door to disturb her girls. She hoped Charlotte would like the remaining furniture she had ordered, but if not, they could send it back and pick something out together.

The furniture had arrived and was already in place in their new home. They had even hung the porch swing which she thought they would have to do themselves. Since that was done and she was fairly sure everyone was still sleeping she decided to make breakfast in bed for Char.

She was almost done putting everything on the tray when she saw Lucy peeking around the door. "Good morning, sweet girl," she said. Lucy giggled and ran to Mia wrapping her arms around Mia's legs. "How did you sleep, Luce?" Lucy had said she slept well and asked if she could help take breakfast to Mummy. Together they padded back up the stairs as they chatted and giggled. They entered the room and Charlotte was still sound asleep. Lucy jumped on the bed and Mia put a soft kiss on Charlotte's forehead as she started to rouse. "Good morning, babe, we made you some breakfast."

Charlotte, Mia, and Lucy were all still chatting away when Lynn and Carly came and stood in the doorway. Carly and the two younger girls went off to get breakfast in the kitchen leaving Mia and Charlotte alone. Charlotte teased, "alone at last, my love."Mia gave her a crooked smile and leaned down to kiss her. Char looked down at the ring. "Amelia, thank you. This ring is so beautiful. Yesterday almost feels like a dream. I still can't quite believe you managed to do all of this without anyone letting it slip to me."

Mia was practically beaming with pride. "Char, honestly, keeping it from reaching you was exhausting", she said letting out a small laugh. They could hear the girls giggling on the way back up the stairs. As they enter the room, Lynn said, " mummy, did you know there is a pool?" Char looked at Mia who nodded in confirmation and said she didn't.

Mia decided to go to the store and get everything they would need for a day at the pool. She went a little crazy and bought way more than they would need for one day. She carefully picked out three options for Carly, so she would be comfortable. She could keep the other two or they could return them.

An hour later, Mia and Char were sitting by the pool sipping on drinks and laughing as the three girls played in the pool. Mia loved that this was there life now, and she said as much to Charlotte. Charlotte felt like it was a perfect day. There first day as a family in a new home, and the love of her life at her side. She was pulled from the little bubble when her phone rang.

Hello?

Yes?

No, no, ex-husband...

I see ...

Charlotte's face had gone pale and Mia moved closer trying to make out what was happening.

Yes, yes I understand. I will be there in about half an hour.

She hung up the phone, and with an obvious fake smile asked Carly to keep an eye on the girls because she and Mia needed to run an errand. Carly was always happy to spend more time with Char's girls, and didn't notice that the smile had been faked. She just said that was fine and have a lovely time.

Mia didn't ask questions as they changed, but when they were in the car she asked, "where to, my love?" She wanted to ask for details. To know what was tearing her sweetheart apart, but she worried that Charlotte was far too fragile for her to pry. Charlotte, whose face was still worryingly pale, was lost in thought but responded, "St. Joseph's hospital," as a tear burned its way down her cheek.