Valentine's Day Bubble

Autumn sat in the bed reading, but her eyes kept gazing back down to the beautiful little girl and man cuddled in the bed next to her. Last year she wasn't sure they would make it here. Looking back over the months since he left, she couldn't believe how much more she loved him. She hadn't really thought it was possible until she almost lost him to his own mind. His devotion since had been ten-fold.

She placed her hand on the small growing bump. The baby that wouldn't have existed had he been lost to her then. The one they wanted so badly, but feared they would never have. After Liliana was born, they decided they wanted a bigger family than they grew up in. She was grateful for Reece, not that she would ever let that particular cat out of the bag, but she also wished she had truly known Mia as a sister growing up.

Winter on the other hand had been an only child and often left alone. His isolation as a child played on his mental health and his unhealthy relationship with his mother, and he didn't want that for their child either.

She looked down at him softly cradling Lili. His love for her never ceased to move her. She may have been his goddess, but that little girl was his princess. A smile spread across Autumn's face as she thought about the day she was born. Her soft black curls and the smell of her head. She wasn't an emotional person, but the new generation had opened something up inside of her and even she couldn't deny it.

As he stirred, she let her mind wander through the memories and the grimace that crossed her face was tainted by a smile.

A few weeks ago:

Autumn had stopped by the nursery to get the end of year financial reports from Sorscha. She, like Marjorie, didn't really know what they were going to do when Sorscha wasn't taking care of this side of things. Marj couldn't do it all and she hated doing the financials.

As she popped her head into the office wearing one of Winter's jumpers, Marjorie's whole demeanor went giddy.

"God damn it Reece. Okay, Marjorie, how long have you known?"

"I don't know what you're talking about, Autumn." She couldn't even keep the silly grin off her face long enough to tell the lie.

"Marjorie, cut the crap. How long have you known?"

"New Year's Day, but I truly think it just slipped. He just said it in conversation with me, Bon and Viv."

"Wait, Siobhan and Viv know too. Is there anyone who doesn't know?"

Marjorie screwed up her face. "Not really. Mia told Char and the girls on the way home Christmas night. Char let it slip to me a week after Reece did. And Viv might have let it slip to Sorscha who then told Clodagh."

"I don't know how you lot ever keep a secret. Go on then do your thing." She and Sorscha managed to just cover their ears in time. She would never say it to her, but her over excited shrieking had kind of grown on her. She couldn't really ask for a more supportive sister-in-law.

Present day:

As he blinked his eyes into focus a smile spread across his face." Happy Valentine's Day my love."

"Happy Valentine's Day, my sweet."

He would never in the whole of his lifetime tire of waking to her next to him. He was glad they had decided to stay in. He knew she wasn't really one for this holiday as it were, but he knew he could make it their own. So, as Lili slept he made his way downstairs and made his girls breakfast.

When he returned Autumn had her knees propped up with Lili sitting in the wedge between her knees and her bump. He stood at the door unnoticed.

"Do you know mummy has a baby right there?" She pointed to the bump and Lili mimicked the word baby. "That's right. That is your little brother in there, and in a few more months he is going to come out and meet us."

Winter had seen interactions like this between them before. She only ever let a lilt of excitement enter her voice as she spoke, but it was enough to melt him.

He shuffled into the room with the tray. "My love, I will never tire of seeing you with our children."

She smiled a genuine smile in return. Nor I with you, my sweet."