It's Hard to Say Goodbye

As time drew near for Carly to leave for Uni everyone was trying to spend a little extra time with her. Trying to make one more memory before she was gone. They all wanted to believe she would always be part of their family, but they had all been her age once and knew that as you move forward in your life sometimes people become your past too.

Char was the only one who hadn't called to get together, but since she was working at the sister nursery today maybe she could get to the bottom of it. "Hey, Char, Marjorie said you needed cover today. What room am I going to?" Charlotte barely looked up before telling her she was needed in the twos and threes room.

Carly grimaced as she made her way to the room. Her day was so full that she hadn't even realized that it was almost time for her lunch until Deliah walked in for cover. Carly chuckled and took off towards the office. She still, after all this time, couldn't believe Deliah stayed after the siblings took over. The fact that not only did she stay but she ended up being Char's deputy seemed somehow crazy to Carly, but Deliah always was a little unhinged.

"Char, do you wanna grab lunch together? Like old times?" Carly never expected her to say no, but that is precisely what happened. She walked away crestfallen. She didn't understand why Char was shutting her out like this.

After Carly left the office Charlotte called Mia. "Baby, I know avoiding her is wrong, but I just can't bear it. I feel like one of our own is about to go off to Uni, but this one isn't obligated to come back. I mean seriously, Mia, how many people do you talk to from your past before Uni?"

"Reece and Aut"

"That doesn't count they are your family."

"We are her family, sweetheart. We might not have the same blood, but that girl is our family and if I have anything to do with it, she always will be."

"I've got to go. I need to go find her"

With that she hung up without even their customary I love you. She turned the corner and ran right into Carly. She had been eavesdropping on Char and Mia's call. They both laughed. Somethings never changed.

That Friday she said her goodbyes to her nursery family. Her parents and siblings were all taking her to Uni the next day. Leaving the nursery family behind was one of the hardest things she ever had to do.