Baby, Baby, Baby?

Charlotte woke to Mia staring dead-eyed at the ceiling. She watched for a moment focusing on Mia's chest rise and fall with each breath. She had been through so much these last few month, and their lives just kept changing. What if she couldn't handle it all? Charlotte felt disconnected in a time she thought they should feel more connected. Then she felt guilty for feeling that way because Mia was going through so much. She felt the tears welling up and rolled her eyes at herself.

"What are you thinking, sweetheart?" Mia startled her. Her heart was racing as she laughed at herself.

"Just all that had changed in our lives in the last several months. What were you thinking? You looked pretty intense when I woke up."

"The same, really. I miss you. I feel like we haven't been connecting lately. That is probably my fault," Mia replied

"Amelia, it isn't anyone's fault. It is just life. A lot has happened in just over a year. I miss you too."

Mia got that look in her eye that told Char they were about to embark on an adventure. She always liked to "protest", but secretly loved Mia's knack for taking a day and making it a memory.

Mia's mind was doing somersaults working its magic. They had their appointment this morning, but then they had the rest of the day. The girls were with Charlotte's parents on Holiday until Sunday night, and they had both taken off the full day today. "Okay, Char, let's get ready for our appointment. I have an idea for afterwards."

When they called Charlotte's name her nerves went into overdrive. They had put this off several times because of all that had been going on, and she was feeling a bit guilty about that. She could feel Mia holding her hand and she felt immense comfort in that. The tech came in and began the scan.

Charlotte explained their insemination had occurred between November 10th and 11th. The tech raised an eyebrow which made Mia chuckle. Then Char found herself laughing and her nervousness had disappeared.

The tech left and instructed them to switch places and she would be right back. Mia and Charlotte looked at each other and fell into laughter all over again.

When the tech reappeared Mia was where Char had been, and the tech made the same explanation as before. Mia squeezed her eyes shut. She was still quite nervous they had put themselves in this position. She was nervous, but honestly also kind of excited. She had never let herself think about children of her own. She just kind of assumed she spend her life, under Roger's thumb, in a problematic relationship with Reece.

The tech spoke and drew Mia from her thoughts. "Same insemination timeline?"

"Um, yes, that's right," Mia replied.

When they were finished they were led into the doctor's office. Mia wondered if all of this was normal. Char tried to reassure her, but she was a bit concerned too. It wasn't how things had been done with the girls, but of course they hadn't been dealing with a fertility clinic.

The doctor popped in and pulled them from their thoughts. "Good morning, ladies. It looks like everything went well with your scans today." He stopped for a moment and Charlotte reached out and took Mia's hand. "Well, okay, um"

Mia spoke up first. "Listen, if there is a problem, please just be upfront with us" She reassured Charlotte by placing her hand on her lower back.

No, no not a problem. Just a surprise," he said with a smile. Relief washed over both their faces. "You are both pregnant, but I imagine you knew that." The both affirmed. "Mia, you are a little older and of course can still have a quite healthy pregnancy, but I would recommend you being monitored more closely and then we do a few more test than with Charlotte." They looked worried again. He handed them copies of the scans and continued, "not just your age, but because your pregnant with twins."

Mia was in shock. She could tell Charlotte and the doctor were still trying to talk to her, but she just couldn't make out the words. She went from thinking she would never have children to twins? Twins!