And He Always Will Be

Reece was nervous as he approached their home. He sat in the drive for a few moments trying to still his nerves before getting out. Before he could even get to the door he heard the unmistakable voice of Etta James. He didn't like that this song was playing. Considering what he believed to be happening, Stormy Weather was a rather ominous song for her to play. Even as a teenager this was Autumn's heartbreak song. Her breakup song.

Reece banged on the door a little louder than he had meant to. He was frantic to get to her after hearing that song. If Winter had already left, he might not be able to control his anger. It was taking her forever to answer the door. He banged again. Even louder this time.

When she came to the door her eyes gave the emotions away. "Aut, what happened?" She just shook her head. "Aut?"

"I can't, Reece. I can't say it out loud."

"Aut, has he gone already?" She gave him a look of shock. He realized Winter hadn't mentioned their call. "He phoned me yesterday. It took me until last night to work it out."

The siblings stood there in the doorway frozen to the spot. "Has he gone." Tears fell down her face as she nodded yes.

Reece's throat filled with bile. "Where?" She managed to croak out the name of the hotel before he turned, got back in his car, and sped off. He was trying very hard to keep his composure. He called Marjorie and asked her to take Emery and go to Autumn. He knew Autumn would trust her. They had already been through so much worse together.

He sped all the way to the hotel and banged on the door to his room. Winter opened the door and was nearly met with Reece's fist mid pound of the door. He looked as bad as she did. Maybe worse. "Winter, what the fuck?" Winter flinched at his words. It was then the Reece realized how small he looked. Not his physical stature. The essence of him. It had grown so small. "Winter, we need to talk."

Winter led him into the room and plopped down in a chair before offering Reece the other. Reece had so much he wanted to say but looking at his brother-in-law he knew he was going to have to be gentle.

"What happened? What has got you here?" Winter, exhausted by the emotions, began to spill everything. His mother had chided him over his decision not to be put on the board with Charlotte and Marjorie. What kind of man doesn't want to provide a better life for his family? What kind of father would allow his daughter to see him like that? What kind of husband would allow their wife to be the bread winner? A constant barrage of insults he had been dealing with in silent agony.

"Winter none of that is true. As much as it pains me to acknowledge I have seen you with my sister and she absolutely adores you. Before you, I worried that the only thing she would ever love was that bloody black cat. But then you came along and opened up a whole new world for Autumn. A whole new Autumn for the world. And Liliana couldn't have a more devoted dad."

He paused trying to see if any of this was sinking in. "You ARE what they need. Not more money. Hell, mum and Max left us with more than even out great grandchildren will ever be able to use. They need YOU. Don't you understand?" Reece was letting his anger rise again and he was doing his best not to let it take over.

"Winter?"

Winter's mind was awash with all that Reece had said, but he couldn't shake his mother's words. "My whole life, Reece, my whole life she has controlled how I saw myself." He fell silent again.

"Winter, you have a beautiful family at home. You need to be with them. To worry about them. Your mother should be worried about how the world views her. She sounds like an absolutely awful human being."

Winter paused. Reece had just insulted his mother and the rage didn't surface. He wasn't angry. He agreed? He agreed. His mother was an awful human being. "Reece, say that again."

"What? Your mother is an awful human being?"

Still no anger. It might not be perfect, and he might not feel this way all the time. But he was released. Her grip on him was broken. What had he done? He shot up and started to throw things back in his bag.

"Winter, where are you going?"

I ... I am going ...

Home.