The One With the Surprise Ending

The 29th of June 2026

Char woke up the next morning and padded off to the kitchen for a little bit of coffee and quiet time. As the boys got older, managing all three of them had become quite a task. She remembered telling herself it wouldn't be any different than having triplets. Having had no idea what that really even meant. So, now she found herself waking early for a little quiet time.

She padded back up the stairs and to their room. Mia was still curled up in the blankets and she couldn't resist. She climbed back in and snuggled up to her wife. It wasn't long until she had pestered her enough to wakes her. "Can I help you, sweetheart?"

Mia feigned annoyance, but they both knew she loved when Char woke her during "quiet time". Mia started to tease Char about these early mornings, but they didn't get far before they heard one of the boys crying and in unison both said, "Carson."

"You should have woken me earlier," Mia teased as Char trailed her to the nursery. Char grumbled and scooped up Aki who had also woke up by the time they got to the nursery. The boys no longer fit together on the extra wide changing table, so they took turns before setting in with them for their morning feed. They cherished these moments with each other and the boys. They knew they were coming to an end. The boys were soon gonna be a year old.

Char looked up to Carly standing in the doorway. She missed this. Carly was with them so frequently after Jack's death that Char really did feel her lost these last few months. She had no idea what she would feel when Lynn went off to Uni, but she felt like it would be similar to this.

With the boys back down for a bit, the three women headed downstairs for some breakfast. Carly began relaying all the tales of Uni in her normal animated way, and Char was reminded of all the times they had spent catching up on the nursery gossip in the break room.

"And then there is one more thing."

Char and Mia both looked at each other. Carly''s nervousness was causing them to worry. Maybe she had failed a class. Maybe she got in another car accident. Maybe she had started vaping or smoking. Char really hoped she wasn't about to say she was pregnant.

"Whatever it is, Carly you can tell us," Mia said.

"Well one night I went to a party with my roommate."

"You are not about to tell us you are pregnant?!?!" Mia and Charlotte shouted in unison.

"What? No."

She continued on and told them all about Mr. Gorgeous and their meeting, and how it was Eric, and how they had been dating, and how she thought she was in love with him.

"With Eric?"

"No, with his mum! Of course, with Eric. Speaking of his mom he wants me to come round."

Just then Charlotte's phone rang startling all of them.

"Sorscha, you alright?

"Yeah, Charlie, I'm grand. Our little boy was born this morning. Aidan Winter Doyle. Bright and early at 6:13a this morning. Clodagh and baby are fine, but I wanted to see if you and Mia wanted to bring Carly by to meet him. I heard she made it home." Charlotte congratulated her and reassured her that they would come by later this afternoon.