Will They or Won't They

Siobhan got out of the taxi and paid the man before making her way to the door. The cool breeze felt good against her skin, so she decided to sit on the swing and enjoy the night air. She picked up her phone and texted Viv that she was home and outside.

Moments later a sleepy Viv sat on the swing alongside her and pulled her into her arms. "You drunk?"

"Not really. How was your night?"

Vivian told her all about her night at the Doyle's and how Jamey and Quinn played together. The look of wonder, adoration, and love in Viv's eyes when she talked about Jamey never ceased to amaze her. She had bonded with Jamey over the years, and she felt like his parent at times. They had never really discussed it. She did all the parenting things but wasn't really called upon to make big decisions. She allowed her mind to wander. "Viv, do you trust me with Jamey?" Was she a parental figure or just his mom's partner? Girlfriend? Suddenly she realized they had once again missed a glaring gap in their communication. They lived together, but they never actually said what they were to one another or what her role was in Jamey's life. Her chest ached at the idea. Maybe she had once again allowed herself to believe she was more to someone than she was.

She had done the same with Roger. She had allowed herself to believe that he loved her and even through the abuse she had caused him to behave that way. Nothing was ever his fault. He loved her. But he hadn't. She knew that now, and although Viv had never done anything to hurt her, she allowed herself to entertain the idea that maybe this love was truly one sided too.

Vivian could see the wheels spinning. She hated when self-doubt ate away at Siobhan. "I trust you with his life, Siobhan. What is this about?"

"We've never said what we are. What I am to him."

"Siobhan, we have never said, but I thought you knew. If you weren't so adamantly opposed after Roger forced you into that sham of an engagement, I would want you to be my wife. And Jamey. Well Jamey calls you mum to everyone but you. In his little mind you are his mum. He just hasn't been brave enough to tell you yet. I figured you two would come to it on your own." She looked down and realized the blonde was crying.

She hadn't meant to make her cry, but she really didn't understand how after all this time Siobhan still questioned her sincerity. She had never felt this way with Jamey's dad. They were friends who through university antics became more and then through life became less. He wasn't really interested in her or Jamey. He was probably more relieved when she walked away than she was.

"Viv?"

"Yes baby?"

"I can't do the big white wedding. I don't know if there will ever be enough therapy to get over what Roger tried to do, but I do want that. To be your wife. I want to be Jamey's mum. I want to be a mum. I want us to have a child. Together.

Vivian was stunned. She hadn't anticipated this at all. It was just another example of how Siobhan had the ability to surprise her. She could barely string her thoughts together, but what she heard was she wanted to be her wife, and she was thinking about growing their family too.

"We could do the courthouse. Just go and do it. We don't have to make a big deal of it if you don't want to."

"Oh, um ..."

"Never mind forget I said anything." She got up to go inside, but Siobhan reached out and grabbed her hand.

"Viv, let's do it. Yeah, I want to do it. Tomorrow we can shop for rings and then let's get married on Monday."

Vivian stopped in her tracks. Monday? They were both off. It worked out perfectly. They were getting married on Monday!