Jack

TW: death by accidental means
2024

Charlotte

When Charlotte and Mia arrived at St. Joseph's they were led to a family room. Charlotte wondered if the décor of beiges and blues were on purpose. She remembered she had read somewhere that blue colors especially pale ones like these were meant to relax you. She had so many questions. Unfortunately, she had to wait. Her chest was tight and her breath was coming faster and more shallow. The lights started to go dim.

"Char, sweetheart, breathe for me. Char, look at me. Char, come on feel my chest and breathe with me."

Charlotte could hear Mia calling out to her ... holding her.

"Charlotte, I love you, please breathe for me, baby."

Charlotte's eyes started to flutter. She could hear the desperation in Mia's voice.

"That's it sweetheart. That's it. Look at me. That's right, slow your breath with me"

When Charlotte came too she could see in Mia's eyes how scared she had been. Her chest was heavy with guilt now for putting Mia through that, but she still couldn't speak to apologize.

Knowingly, Mia said, "sweetheart, it is okay. You did nothing wrong. Do you think you can sit up for me now?"

Charlotte sat up slowly as the doctor walked in.

"Are you Charlotte?", he asked.

"Mhm." Was all Charlotte could get out.

"Ma'am, we have done all we can do and I am very sorry, but your husband... er ex-husband did not survive the injuries he sustained in the accident."

Charlotte could feel the tears run down her face, and then she couldn't feel anything. Her knees buckled and Mia caught her before she went down.

She could see Mia and the doctor talking but she couldn't make out the words. Sedative? Was that what he said?

Mia

Mia couldn't imagine what Charlotte must be feeling right now. She knew Charlotte loved Jack, and even if it wasn't a romantic love anymore she loved him as the father of her children. After the doctor gave Charlotte a sedative Mia decided to take her to the house in town rather than back to the country home. She thought it was best not to alert the girls until they could sit down together to talk to them.

She carried Charlotte up the stairs, dressed her in her old t-shirt, and tucked her in. She pulled the chair from the corner of the room to the bedside before texting Carly. She told Carly about Jack, but ask her not to alert the girls. Carly texted back that she was fine to stay with them for the night, but would have to go home tomorrow because of work.

Mia called Reece and told him and Marjorie. She had a sinking feeling that she had just ruined their mood and made a mental note to make it up to them later. Reece had promised to let Autumn and Winter know before he got off the phone. They both knew that was best. Autumn wouldn't have been happy if Mia had called her, and Mia didn't want to say anything she didn't mean because she was feeling stressed.

She called Charlotte's parents, as well, in the hopes that they would know if Jack had other family. It seemed to Mia that his life was possibly more tragic than her own when Char's dad said that Jack had no family to speak of. His parents had died when he was young, and he had an older sister who he didn't speak to. They had no idea how to reach her.

At odds with herself but feeling there was nothing more she could do for the moment, she reached out and took one of Charlotte's hands. It wasn't long before she was drifting lazily into sleep.

Carly

Carly had made grilled cheese and soup for the girls. She figured some comfort food would help, although, the girls had no idea what they were being comforted for. Afterwards, she sat on  the couch with one on either side of her and snuggled up with them. She kept thinking about how tomorrow their whole world would change. Their little spirits would be irreversibly altered once they heard the news. She shook her head trying to knock her thoughts free. She didn't want them to think anything was wrong. The three of them snuggled up closer and soon she could hear their soft snores. She took what felt like the first full breath all night, and as she exhaled, she felt the sting of the tears running down her face.

Reece and Marjorie

Reece and Marjorie had been celebrating their news when the call from Mia came in, but as soon as they heard about Jack, they went into management/fixer mode. They both picked up their phones and started making phone calls. Reece called Autumn, and Marjorie called Sorscha. They wanted to surround Char and the girls with the love of the little family they had formed. Reece did research about the funeral arrangements, and Marjorie made the calls. Before the two of them drifted off to sleep they had nearly everything arranged for Charlotte. All she had to do was approve their plan.

Sorscha and Autumn

Sorscha and Autumn went to St. Joseph's to make sure that Jack's body was being appropriately transported to the funeral home. They wanted to be able to tell Charlotte that he was taken care of in a respectful manner. As they waited, a nurse brought them a bag with Jack's belongings. She apologized for the lack of clothes. They had been cut from his body and discarded when he arrived. His wallet, a man's chain with a pendant bearing the letter C, and a envelope addressed to Charlotte. That was all the little bag held.

When the staff from the funeral home arrived, Autumn gave them instructions, and leaned into the man who said he was in charge. "Treat him as you would your own father. Two little girls have gone to sleep tonight for the last time believing their loving father is still alive. Tomorrow their whole world changes and you need to make sure their father is treated with dignity and respect or you will regret it." With that she handed him an envelope which she said held a sizable sum to guarantee her demands. Sorscha chuckled when the man walked away looking like he might wet himself. She had to admit "the guard dog" was scary.