An Affair?

He stood there silently. She wasn't meant to hear that conversation and if he told her he was going back to Veronica, she would know he was having issues.

"Reece! Who do you NEED to see?"

He couldn't bring himself to speak. He didn't want to worry her and now he had angered her. He wasn't mitigating any damage at this point and based on the look she was giving him he was likely making it much worse.

"Veronica", he said it so low it was almost a whisper. He hung his head low, and she just stared at him.

"You're having an affair with your therapist?" She was shrieking at this point. "I am nearly seven months pregnant with your second child and you're having an affair?"

"What? No, Marjorie! I am not having an affair."

"Then what is this, Reece. You have been acting strange for weeks. You break out in a sweat every time you are around me, and you disappear from bed at night for hours. What is going on?"

His face fell again. He hadn't realized she had noticed all that. He had worried her by trying not to worry her. "Marjorie, I .. I am having issues with anxiety. I worry all the time. I worry that something will happen to you. To the baby. To both of you. I couldn't... Marjorie I don't think I could bear it. I don't think I could live this life without you."

"Reece, I ..." she stopped mid-sentence. She felt foolish. "Reece, I feel the same way, but if something were to happen to one of us, we would have to do it for them." She put her hand on her bump. "They would need us more than ever, and if God forbid something happen to me and this little one..." She paused and almost cradled the bump protectively at the thought. "You would have to be there for Emery. He would need you more than ever."

He knew she was thinking about her own childhood and got a pang of guilt in his chest. He had wanted to protect her and instead he had worried her more and made her feel like he might be cheating. He had made quite a mess of things, and he was struggling to get out from under the embarrassment of it all.

"Marjorie, I am sorry. I should have said something. I didn't want you to stress about it or me. I am seeing Veronica first thing in the morning, and hopefully I can work through some of this before the big day comes." He placed his hand on her bump beside hers.

"Reece, next time just talk to me. It probably will be less stressful. I have spent the last two weeks trying to figure out what slapper at the restaurant you were sleeping with."

He laughed maybe a little too hard, and she playfully slapped his chest. It was the first time in weeks he had been in her presence without feeling the panic rise.

AN: This is not traditionally the type of chapter I would do this on, but today's chapter is coming with a companion art installation . You can find it on TikTok and Instagram @artbywill79