Saturday - Sorscha's Growing Pains

In the last few weeks since Aidan's birth they had become accustomed to Shibby, Viv and Jamey coming on Saturdays. Viv would cook them all brunch and Jamey and Quinn played while Sorscha and Clodagh got time to take care of themselves for a few hours.

Sorscha shook her head at the memory. It was still hard to believe that the woman she had once described as the most homophobic person she'd ever met had become a friend. Not just a friend. She, Viv, and Jamey were like family to them. It was hard to believe but it was true.

This weekend they were on their own. It felt a bit daunting, and she felt some of the anxiety she had felt after Quinn creeping in. Now that she thought of it she had actually made it a bit worse. Thankfully she had learned a lot from that experience and had better coping skills now. She had learned many ways to pull herself back and ground herself again.

If she was honest that had piqued her interest enough that she had looked into going back to school. With her existing degrees it wouldn't take long to get her qualifications to become a school psychologist or a psychologist in general if she wanted to. Her fear lied in leaving the nursery and losing that "family."

With Clodagh's family being what it was they only had the Doyle's and the nursery family. She didn't want to risk losing that. She was pulled from her thoughts by a knock at the door.

Mia and Charlie? She opened the door and let them in, but her confusion was compounded by the lack of even a single child in tow. "Charlie, where are the children?"

"Funny story that. We got a phone call from Carly ... and Eric this morning." She visibly tried to shoo a thought from her mind with a wave of her hand. "They asked us to bring them to our house here in town. They want to take all five with them to her sister's birthday party. Either very brave or very stupid. We aren't sure which, but we thought maybe you guys might need some help today with Shibby and Viv out of town.

Mia had only been there a handful of times, but she always went right to the kitchen to cook. She had learned many tricks over the years from Reece and was a rather good cook in her own right at this point. When they were able to get away together and come for a visit, she always cooked multiple meals to keep them going for a few days.

Mia was well into her task when Char walked in holding Aidan. She had sent the moms to take care of themselves for a bit, and Quinn was napping.

"Hey, sweetheart, you alright?"

"Yeah, I think something is bothering Sorscha, but I can't put my finger on it. Being in separate nurseries had been hard on me, but I get the feeling she is feeling detached or ... I don't know, but it is something."

Mia wasn't really sure what to say. She had come with Char to see Sorscha and Clodagh a handful of times over the years and they saw them at all the get togethers, but she never really spent much time with them.

"Char maybe it is nursery related I can talk to her." There had been talk of Marjorie moving to head office. Maybe she was worried about a new manager or maybe she was ready to step up into the position. As far as she knew, Marjorie hadn't even made a decision yet. "Let me get some more information about some things and I will pop into the nursery next week and talk to her. How does that sound?" Mia hated to see her upset, so anything she could do to help she would.

The rest of the visit was pleasant, and they left the little family with enough food for a few days. Mia left handwritten instructions for them to heat or cook each meal, and Charlotte left satisfied that they would soon know what was bothering their friend.