Chapter 5✨

**

Once the food was served and everyone sat down, Luo Father turned to Luo Yan and asked, "Did you really earn this money from painting?"

"Yes," Luo Yan confirmed between bites of food, surprised by her father's sudden question.

Seeing her affirmatively respond, Luo Father wondered if she had learned on her own.

"Let's finish our meal first, and then we can talk," Luo Yan suggested.

Luo Father, hearing this, didn't press further at the moment.

Luo Yan watched her wife eating earnestly, her chopsticks never pausing. It seemed like Huanxue really enjoyed the meal. Her mother and father were clearly pleased as well, particularly her father, who seemed to really like the cold radish dish.

"After going to the market, you remembered to buy me some wine to drink; it was worth the effort," her father said, feeling happy with his dutiful daughter.

"Indeed, our child is quite filial!" Luo's Mother chimed in, recalling how her daughter had also brought back some treats for her.

Suddenly, Luo Yan remembered the hairpin she had bought for her mother and hurriedly searched for her clothes. Finally, she pulled it out from her left sleeve. "Mother, this is a hairpin I bought for you. It really suits you."

Luo Mother put down her chopsticks and took the hairpin, feeling a mix of surprise and joy. Once unwrapped, she saw it was made of sandalwood. Its design was lovely, and she instantly liked it.

"Once I save up some money, I'll buy even better things for you and Huanxue," Luo Yan promised.

Though she spoke casually, her words struck a chord with those nearby.

"Take your time earning money; there's no need to rush. Life will only get better," Luo Father advised.

"Father is right," Luo Yan replied.

---

After finishing their meal, Luo Yan encouraged her wife to go rest in their room. After tidying up the bowls and chopsticks, she sought her father for a conversation.

"Yan'er, the dishes you prepared today were quite good. When did you secretly practice?" her father inquired.

"I learned a bit while working at that family's house with the cook," Luo Yan explained.

"Hmm, when did you learn to paint?"

Luo Yan felt a wave of anxiety wash over her from the question. "I didn't really draw on paper before. When I wanted to draw, I would use a stick to draw on the ground. I didn't expect that I could actually do it quite well."

"Well, that's great," her father replied. It dawned on him that he had overlooked his daughter's talents and that he needed to take some time to talk to her about it...

"I noticed you bought some brushes, ink, and paper. You should practice more regularly. Don't stop studying or reading as well!" he emphasized. One day, those skills would be necessary; you could avoid it for a while, but not forever!

"I understand, Father. There's one more thing I'd like to ask you," Luo Yan said, planning for her future with Huanxue and everything that needed to be prepared ahead of time.

"What is it?" her father asked.

Luo Yan said, "I was sick this time, and that's when Huanxue discovered I'm a girl. Last night, she cried a lot."

"Huanxue just found out?" Luo Father was surprised; he had thought that she had known since that night. It was unexpected that it took Luo Yan getting sick for her to discover the truth.